Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can find an engine test stand..either used, new...but affordable. If anyone has one for sale or knows of a decent set of plans to build that be great. I'm running a BB. Just checking with you guys before I dive into Ebay again. I'll end up using it once maybe twice so I'm not looking to take out a loan :) Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
I have seen guys use the engine stand and hook everything else up with temporary fittings and wires. I have seen these done on the 4 roller block roll around carts. I have seen them even on a stack of pallets. One thing for sure, you want to make sure you dont jazz the throttle too hard or it will be like the Pennzoil commercial, walk out to the street.
They are out on market, turn key jobs , about $2K.

Where's Tim, he rigged up an Okie style, radiator and all, just for run in. Tim, You there?

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wouldn't be hard to set one up using a old subframe and rad support , might look back yard but the motor wouldn't flop around .
Mark.
Thats a real good idea. I called my neighbor to see if he still had an old subframe and he offered something better. He is pulling his BB out of his car in 2 weeks to rebuild. We're gonna drop mine in and tweak it and put a few miles on it. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Has anyone tried breaking in an engine by mounting it on it's subframe and connecting it up to the radiator and the engine wiring harness. ?????

What would it take to do so ???. This info would help me out in a big way since I am about 2 years away from finishing the body. I need to crank the motor over and see if my xe268 cam will fail. Yes I know this cam has issues and I don't want to change this post over to a cam bashing thing..

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
When I pulled my old 350 and TH350, I didn't want to leave them sitting on the ground, so I made a big U-shaped cradle out of scrap 4x4's and bolted it to the engine mounts, and set the trans mount on another scrap of 4x4.

Sometime after that, I saw videos on youtube of kids trying to blow up junkyard engines in a garage--they were just sitting the engine mounts on top of cinder blocks and the engines were bouncing around a bit when they hit the throttle.

When I got ready to sell the 350, I had a couple of people ask to hear it run. I made up a wiring harness, and bolted a 2ft long 4x4 to the trans mount (in addition to the cradle that bolted to my engine mounts). It worked great. I was just doing quick "hear it run", so I didn't put a cooling system on it, but it would be easy to mount a radiator and electric fan on some 2x4's...

·
Registered
414 Posts
The question I have is that I have a completed subframe and a motor ready to run. If I mount the flywheel and trans and the rest of the accessoires/? to the motor and hook up the rad support and the radiator. Could that work as far as running the engine outside of the chasis ??

I know I would have to remote start the thing but how would I kill it if there is no key to shut it off.

I have never done it like this,,, but it would be great to break in the engine and fix any mechanical issues that may come up...

I may post this in the tech forum seeing how this is going off tpoic.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
The question I have is that I have a completed subframe and a motor ready to run. If I mount the flywheel and trans and the rest of the accessoires/? to the motor and hook up the rad support and the radiator. Could that work as far as running the engine outside of the chasis ??

I know I would have to remote start the thing but how would I kill it if there is no key to shut it off.

I have never done it like this,,, but it would be great to break in the engine and fix any mechanical issues that may come up...

I may post this in the tech forum seeing how this is going off tpoic.
That was my other thought and Mark thought of it too. You may have to support back end of motor to keep headers off the ground, could even put some flat tires on it to keep it from moving on you. Radiator, battery, fuel , you could be in business. If you could set it up to a old farm downhole water pump, guess you could load it like a dyno? Thats the way Don Hardy from Hardy Racecars got started. He builds irrigation motors stand modules that run the pumps.
An old rolling chassis with no body could work too.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The back end has a dolly bolted to it. I welded one with casters and I have the tires on the front spindles so I can move this thing around. I would have to somehow connect a remote starter to the motor. I don't get what you mean about the downhole water pump though. My engine is complete with the short water pump installed. I would need to figure out what wires needs to be connected to get power to the coil.

I am on a mission now.. P.S. I am lucky that only an hour away from where I live I found gas that does not contain Ethanol....

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just bought a 454 from a guy (drag racer) that had a test stand. Pretty simple looking thing - heavier than the one on the Ebay link. It worked great - I got to hear the engine run before buying. As soon as I got home, I posted a want ad on a few local sites, but may end up building one. I thought about using a spare sub frame and still might.

Only power source we had hooked up was 12v to the dizzy and starter. Of course, a ground as well. When we unhooked the 12v to the dizzy, the engine quit - just an alligator clip from the battery. We had a simple push button starter. I may call him up and see if I can come down and create plans from his. I would probably use a lakewood SFI bell housing I have to be extra safe - he was using a 621.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Building a test fire stand off an engine stand is just too easy. I will NERVER fire motor in the engine compartment that has been on a stand again. Had a leaky soft plug and you know what that would be like fixing laying on your back. Just made some removeable struts and attached them to the motor mounts. With no tranny behind, it was very smooth on the stand. Here is my hillbilly link and don't make fun at the fact that I was jacking on the throttle so much!!!! :D

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o182/agentjdub/?action=view&current=460BBC.flv

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Some times take a look at some of the auctions in your area. I picked up a really good one at a great price at one of these. Some times they go really cheaply!

cap68

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do a search for Larin METS (Mobile Engine Testing Station). It's the old PCS engine test stand. I don't have one yet, but will eventually. They have to be the best deal going. Costco online carries them for $329.99.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Do a search for Larin METS (Mobile Engine Testing Station). It's the old PCS engine test stand. I don't have one yet, but will eventually. They have to be the best deal going. Costco online carries them for $329.99.

Thanks for the info i just bought one from costco :) the cheapest one i could find when doing a search was 650.00

·
Registered
354 Posts
That looks like a good deal - with shipping included for that price(It's over 90lbs). I'm ordering one! With the price of metal, it's hard to build one for much less. It might not be super duty, but it will work for what I need.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts