Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build an engine test stand that can be used for both Chevy SB and BB. Anyone have detailed plans that I could go by? Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
i made my own and have a few pictures of others that were home made, maybe they'll be of assistance to you...

click to view:

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm using my sub frame as an engine test stand.
I am doing a restoration on my 69 and wanted to make sure
everything fit/worked/sealed before I put it all together. Made sense to me because I'm changing so many things, (small block to big block, auto to 4 speed etc) Easy access to everything and all I needed to do was build a wooden dolly and attach it to the rear sub frame mount. It also rolls around easily. I can move it like a tool box on wheels.
I have seen sub frames for sale on E-Pay often. You can use a variety of frames off Nova's, Chevelles Etc.

·
Registered
189 Posts
^^^ i wasn't able to do that on my car but it's definitely a great idea... then you can basically roll it under the car and install it correct ?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't think about the subframe idea. I'll check around some of the junk yards. Thanks!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
I built one that serves as a build and test stand. The black pieces are the add on's and the red is the original engine stand. The head attached to the bell housing is an extra from an old stand and was moded to fit the trans bolt pattern. The valve cover is the dash board with tach, temp, oil, start and run switches. It swivels around so you can monitor easy during break in.

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

stand3.jpg

stand4.jpg

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Rojo nice idea.
I can't lay claim to the idea, I saw similar plans on Ebay. What's nice is the whole thing is stick built and bolts together.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
How permanent does it have to be?

Mine cost very little and borrows the engine stand's mount, so the crane simply lifts it from the engine stand, you fit the stand and plonk it on the floor!

The exhaust and any radiator is easily attached if need be.

I did this for dyno preparation. It's about a backyard as it gets but cheap and worked very well.
(The first thumbnail shows the running stand verses my old starage stand.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts