Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting ready to put the engine to the trans, and dont want to miss anything in the process.

1. Engine on cherry picker, mount the flex plate/flywheel.
2. ?? Mount the torque converter to the back of the flex??
3. ??Fill Torque converter with transmission fluid ??
4. Mount trans bellhousing to the 6 bolts on the engine, mating the trans to the torque converter.

I dont know if this is correct, so please tell me, are my steps correct or completely wrong? i would like to know before putting it all together and then later finding out i missed something.

Thanks in advance:(

·
19,843 Posts
bolt on flywheel to motor
install torque converter in tranny (can add ATF before or after.. I wait until in car)
bolt tranny/motor combo together
bolt converter to flywheel

I usually install tranny then motor (easier by myself)

·
Registered
445 Posts
make sure converter is seated in front pump before bolting up to fex plate.if not you will tear pump up and have to start over and will be very mad.lol

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Install the engine and trans together. It's easier. Dont install the distributor till engine completely in. Dont have the radiator in the car. Way too much chance of hitting it and wrecking it. Wrap the trans tail shaft so ATF does not leak out. Install the trans dipstick tube with the engine/trans, some times they are very difficult to maneuver into place afterward. Some brands of headers cannot be installed after the engine is completely bolted in place. Should not have a problem with stock manifolds. I'd add trans fluid afterward, not before, but that's personal preference.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is this on the transmission? it seems like it is a vacuum, or what use to be a vacuum? can it be installed after engine is in or prior?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does it connect to the back of my carb/manifold? or is that the vacuum line, which is a little lower down?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Supposed to wet the verter before install. Just pour a half quart to a quart in it to prime it. It's a centrifugal pump and has bearings.There will be a very small gap between the verter and tranny pump housing, if you can stick your hand in there it means you haven't engaged the verter to the pump yet and need to lightly lift and slowly rotate the verter to get it engaged. Else you'll be sorry. Then when the tranny/engine are bolted together there should be 1/8" gap between the flexplate and verter, and you pull the verter towards the flexplate. That is the acid test of whether or not you accurately stabbed the verter to begin with.(no gap normally means you missed the pump aligning)The vent is on the drivers side and up on the side of the gear case. Yours is pointing up and needs pointing down so crap doesn't fill it up(like it almost looks to be already) causing the tranny to develop internal pressure and puke ATF while you head up the mountains towards Estes Park, Colorado and you will have to fix it on the side of the road which sucks in the mountains cuz there ain't no side of the road.The vacuum line goes to the modulator which is lower and on the passenger side.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys! i think i got it.. thanks tim, very informative! ill take a picture of the underside and show u

1 - 10 of 10 Posts