Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Getting ready to pull my engine and transmission together next week. I have a Kwik Lift, but it is too high for my cherry picker, so I'm going to add some Race Ramp Wheel Cribs to my collection, and use those instead of the Kwik Lift.

Trying to figure out whether or not to buy the 10" or 12" ones. The 10" cribs would give me 19" of total clearance, from floor to transmission, and the 12" cribs will give me 21".

I thought about getting the 10" cribs as I'm also thinking about the clearance for the cherry picker. Will 19" from floor to transmission be enough clearance to pull it out? I have a leveler to make it easier.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
unless it is a slammer, you can pull the engine and transmission with the car on its tires.
raise it so you can work easy and safe. loosen everything then lower the car to its tires. PULL!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
Chad, why don't you move the car off the lift? That should give you plenty of room to put the engine and trans back into the engine bay.

You need a cherry picker of about 4000# to have a long arm over the center of the engine bay. At least a 60" reach.
I fear that those little 5/16" studs will pull out if the thread. I know , I seen many pull engines out that way but I can't help thinking about one of those studs giving. Then its all the weight on 3.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. My cherry picker is 2 ton with a leveler, so plenty of muscle. My concern was pulling the engine and transmission at the same time, and if the angle required more clearance, but sounds like I'll be good to go.

Don - I'll be pulling off the lift and placing the car on the cribs. This way i can loosen everything up, pull and replace without moving the car.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
Thanks. My cherry picker is 2 ton with a leveler, so plenty of muscle. My concern was pulling the engine and transmission at the same time, and if the angle required more clearance, but sounds like I'll be good to go.

Don - I'll be pulling off the lift and placing the car on the cribs. This way i can loosen everything up, pull and replace without moving the car.
Good luck. I have a 4 ton with a 6' reach , never used the leveler, but someday maybe. Other than the engine, the TKO is the heaviest I have ever worked with. I used to deal with ford top loaders and thought they were heavy.
I normally pull the TKO out on the floor, with 24" jack stands. Then it the engine with no stands.
Last time I did try to install both together, it was tough, even with the leveler.
I don't like to install a TKO on the floor as I have messed up some input shaft bushings. On the floor, the both line up perfectly. Being that I work alone, its tough, now with new knees, fused lower back and neck, it may be harder.

Work safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts