Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 68 camaro. originally had a straight six and 3 speed, now has a tko and v8. the back of the engine looks like it sits low and the top of the tranny is snug against the floor of the car, i had to cut about 1.5inches to get the shifter through the floor, so seems like its pretty far back eventhough theres about 4 inches between the firewall and belhousing. does all this sound wrong???

·
Super Moderator
32,289 Posts
Going from 6-cyl to V8, I'm sure you've changed the crossmember bolt-on mounts to V8 mounts. The easiest way to check is to look straight down from above the harmonic balancer. It should be directly above the sway bar. If no sway bar, run a strip of masking tape across the frame rails in the middle of the pillow block holes.

Be sure to check the driveline angles and adjust both accordingly by shimming one to/from the other.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crap, the center of the harmonic balancer is 2 inches infront of the center of the sway bar(towards the front of the car). what do i need to do to move the motor back?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
small block, i tried the motor mounts both ways and bolted them down the way that loooks rights, i know that if i switched them they would hang off and that move the motor back. i hope that fixes eveything

1 - 6 of 6 Posts