Team Camaro Tech banner

Engine/Transmission codes

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dellerbe 
#1 ·
How do you figure out what engine/transmission your car originally had in it if you can't tell by the VIN or body tag?

#2 ·
You either need the POP (Protect-O-Plate) or the body broadcast sheet. Based on other posts, it appears that only Van Nuys cars are consistent in having the sheet glued to the top of the gas tank. Norwood cars generally don't have one.

Original paper documentation is the only way to know for sure. After that, you have to look for clues on the car itself.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 9/01/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

#3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gheatly:
You either need the POP (Protect-O-Plate) or the body broadcast sheet. Based on other posts, it appears that only Van Nuys cars are consistent in having the sheet glued to the top of the gas tank. Norwood cars generally don't have one.

Original paper documentation is the only way to know for sure. After that, you have to look for clues on the car itself.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok Thanks for the info. I guess I'm gonna have to start ripping out seats and look for the paper although I doubt seriously it will be there. Thanks

#4 ·
You can sometimes come up with a good idea of the original configuration from "clues".

Is your camaro an LA or Norwood car?
How many fuel lines from the tank?
Multi leaf rear springs? How many leafs?
Auto or Manual? How does the tunnel look?
10 or 12 bolt?
Is there an 1n-line prop. valve mounted in the rear brake line to the outside of the subframe? It should be under the drivers seat.

Let us know....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 10/8/00)

#5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mccorry:
You can sometimes come up with a good idea of the original configuration from "clues".

Is your camaro an LA or Norwood car?
How many fuel lines from the tank?
Multi leaf rear springs? How many leafs?
Auto or Manual? How does the tunnel look?
10 or 12 bolt?
Is there an 1n-line prop. valve mounted in the rear brake line to the outside of the subframe? It should be under the drivers seat.

Let us know....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Camaro is a Norwood Car.
1 fuel line from the tank.
I don't know exactly what you mean about the tunnel, I just took a quick look and it's just a tunnel to me. Long straight and high.
Monoleaf springs.
Clutch pedal is still in car but now has 454 with turbo 350. I haven't gotten around to removing the pedal yet.
10 bolt rear. POSI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.