Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving a few miles I started to hear a ticking noise. I opened up the valve covers and noticed that one of the rocker arms was loose and some of the pushrods were spining easily and so I re-adjusted all the rocker arms. Now the engine turns but will not fire up and it sounds like something is stuck. I loosed up the rocker arms and re-adjusted them but still the engine will not start. Is it possible that I over tightened the rocker arms causing some of the lifters to get stuck in the lifter bores?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Nice thread. Looks like the information this guy will need. Hopefully he will have the info on the cam that is installed. Could get interesting if not.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
a couple of other things to check for may be a stud pulling out of the head if they are press in type. There could be damage to the lobe of the cam that the loose rocker arm works against.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Yes, if you get them too tight you don't get any compression on startup. It is possible you started adjusting them with #6 at TDC instead of #1 if you did it after a couple of cocktails like I've been known to do.

Here's how I set mine with a not-too-radical cam:

Set the engine at TDC for #1. Verify by pulling the distributor cap to see that the rotor is at #1. Or since you have the covers off, rotate the engine clockwise so the marker passes through 0 on the timing tab and one of the #6 valves starts to rock, you are on TDC for #1. Then turn the motor back counter clockwise to the 0 point.

I find zero lash by doing the following:
Use a 0.0015 feeler gauge between the valve and rocker tip. Turn the rocker nut down by hand (if possible) while sliding the feeler gauge in and out. When there is a slight drag on the feeler gauge, stop. Tighten the rocker nut down 1/2 a turn from this point. (I use 3/8 turn on my lumpy cam). If you get a little tick, no biggie. I'd rather have one a tad loose than a tad tight.

Adjust the following rockers:
Intake: 1-2-5-7
Exhaust: 1-3-4-8

Rotate the engine one full turn clockwise to get the balancer mark back at 0. Adjust the following rockers:
Intake: 3-4-6-8
Exhaust: 2-5-6-7

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed that on some of the hydraulic lifters, the pushrod will not push back up after I push down on them. Does that mean that the spring inside the lifters are broken?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts