Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
im new here and this is my first post. i looked at previous posts to see if someone talked about this but i didnt find anything. anyway the other day i was in my car and had the engine off and was listening to the radio (dumb i know but i was studying). after an hour white smoke started coming from under my hood so i took the key out. since that i try and start my car and the engine turn over, i can still listen to my radio, dash and headlights work, but the engine wont start. turns out the white smoke was the plastic insulation around the wire that goes from my coil to distributor melting. its not the main wire that goes from the top of the coil to the top of the distributor. it was like some grounding wire or something that goes to under the distributor and disappears into a hole in it.
should i replace that wire? its not melted or anything but would it not transmit electricity if it got really hot once? and if i were to replace it do i have to take out the entire distributor from the block? sounds like a ton of work cuz then my timing would be all off and id have to fix that. any help would be awesome thanks. sorry if its a dumb question im just a bit frustrated cuz my car is out in the street where the tow truck left it and downhill from my house and i need the damn car for work monday.
btw also i tried jumpstarting the car and that doesnt work either so its def not the battery obviously

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
YOUr car's ignition switch has an accessory position for listening to the radio...
In accessory, the radio is powered but not the ignition.

It's generally bad to have the ignition powered but the car not running, this is especially true with a points type ignition. If the points just happen to be closed, the primary side of the coil will draw lots of power.

The primary ignition circuit is not built to draw constant power, it's built to flash on and off as it fires the plugs. Things got hot, and the moke came out. Generally electrical stuff has to have the smoke kept safely inside. You let it get out, it's liable not to work anymore.

You need to replace that wire, first of all.
Very possibly the coil has failed too. (to test, take all the wires off the coil, and measure ohms across the 2 small studs (plus and minus) a stock coil should read3 ohms, a performance coil 1.6. Less is bad. Lots more is dead.)
f you have points, they are toast, replace them. If your ignition is electronic, you may get lucky, but most likely the module is toast too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i replaced that wire and i have a points system so i am replacing that as well as the rotor in the distributor. hopefully my bro will buy the parts today and ill install them tonight. ill let you know how it goes. thanks for the help!
as for today looks liek im biking the 16 miles to work :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyway we got new points and installed them, including the new wire from the coil to distributor. the coil was tested as well and is fine. however it still wont start! the fuse isnt burned out either and we cant figure out anywhere in the circuit where anything is wrong. im gonna run it down to the electrical shop and let them look at it because i have run out of ideas. ill let you know what was wrong
btw i realized that i didnt put the keys in the accesory position (to the left), i turned it right in the ignition position without turning it more to start the engine. not a good idea but now i kno ill never do that again haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts