Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This engine was running when disasembled. All of the oil galley plugs are in and full of oil. My prime tool is an old dist cut to work. I've spun drill for at least 2 min and no pressure. What could be wrong?

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Not to sound silly, but are you turning it clockwise?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
This engine was running when disasembled. All of the oil galley plugs are in and full of oil. My prime tool is an old dist cut to work. I've spun drill for at least 2 min and no pressure. What could be wrong?
Are you spinning it the correct direction? Clockwise is correct. Are you using a 1/2" drive or some type of high speed/power drill? I found on several engines I've built and primed that it sometimes took a couple minutes for oil to get to the top even using a strong 1/2" drive drill. Are you getting ANY oil out of the pushrods and no pressure or nothing at all?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've never seen an engine run when disassembled. "Just kiddin":yes::yes:

Hard to tell without being there.
Could the drill be turning in the wrong direction?
Maybe not spinning fast enough?
Did you pre-fill the oil filter before installing it on the engine? filter will take some time to fill.
Pick-up tube & screen in the right position?
I always put a little lube in the pump before installing it so the gears don't turn dry the first time.

Hope you find the problem.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hope so too. But, it's better he's findin' this out now before firing it up. Hopefully it's as simple as our first 2 suggestions.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drill is turning clockwise. I've never had any engine take this long to prime and I've built many. I put about 1/2 quart in filter. As for the drill, it's a craftsman 1/2'' drive, it doesn't spin as fast as my milwaukee but I've used it several times. I'll just lock the drill and walk away and maybe when I get back it will have pressure.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you getting ANY oil out of the pushrods and no pressure or nothing at all?
Nothing at all. I took off the oil pan and took off the pump, submerged screen in oil and spun by hand and oil squirted out. I also pushed air into the rear main cap and air came out where the oil filter goes. I am now in the process of filling it back up and trying it again.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I put everything back together and still wouldn't prime so I thought that the shaft that drives the pump might not be fully engaged into the plastic sleeve so I got a long screwdriver and tapped it with a hammer and "snap" it went into place. Started up drill and BINGO, 60psi. Whew, that was a close one. Thanks guys for your help.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
ooohhh those plastic sleeves suck....i usually use the metal driveshaft...you dont have to worry about the oilpump ripping the sleeve in two...glad you got it fixed...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts