Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im lost here. i have a 67 with a 406 and i cant get engine started. engine turns over but it seems as though its not getting a spark. i put two diff. distributers in both i know work. checked all spark plugs, and all are getting a spark, wires are fine. have a 850 double pump holley, its getting enough fuel, but it wont turn over. makes a poping sound every once in a while. any ideas????? thanks a lot.

------------------
Jarvis Racing 1972 Camaro 350/ 1967 Camaro SS 406/ 1984 El Camino SS 350

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Sound like your dist. timing is 180 degrees out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it started before with distrib and i didnt take it out until today when i changed it to another one i used. after it started about 2 weeks ago i let it sit and tried to start it today but nothing. sometimes it wants to turn over but, but nothing.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If timing is ok and you have spark and fuel, then I would suspect improperly adjusted valves and lack of proper compression.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi
94 HD Dyna Wideglide

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one thing i forgot to say was the last time it started there was fuel in the oil it ran, but when i turned it off a loud back fire i think in was in the bottom end and then on its just turns over and acts like it wants to start. did break somthing???? god i hope not

·
Registered
500 Posts
If your 850 is an older model without the power valve blowout protection you may have blown the power valve. That will make it run very rich. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
How many miles do you have on your timing chain? They usually go when you shut the motor down and then behave as you describe when starting.

-dnult

·
Registered
21 Posts
hook your timing light up and have a buddy
crank it over while you watch the timing marks this will prove 3 things that you have spark and you can see if intial timing is right and that your timing chain has not jumped a tooth

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i took the valve cover and had two rockers that are very loose not even on the spring # 3,5 would that make it not start? and how do you check for a bent valve?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts