Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cracked head or cracked head gasket 95 z28 LT1 auto
Is it worth fixing or should I just buy a used engine. My engine has 200,000+ miles on it n other engines haves less that 100,000 miles on it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
32,898 Posts
Welcome, Don,
Depends on your usage. If a second daily driver, put in a used engine and keep this one for a project at your own speed and learn from it. Buy a Haynes manual for familiarizing yourself with it.
Or if you have time and space, pull heads and check to see if gaskets are needed or not.
If cracked head, you can exchanged them.
If you plan for overhaul, then go the route - pull, tear down, replace/fix, bore block if needed, and assemble, reinstall.
Used engine be cheaper and might come with a 30 day warranty.
Replace all hoses and belts. rebuild alternator and water pump and other maintenance items.

JMT's

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already bought a Hanes manual and been studying it everyday and I'm confident that I can pull the heads and replace or I can just swap the engine with the used one. But the used engine isn't from a yard or nothing someone is parting out theirs So I'm head out to their car and drive his Z28 LS1 before I take out the engine and the trani. I think I'm gonna go that route and keep my old engine for parts. Any extra tips y'all got for me. It's my first car so I don't want to sell my car. Make it my project car I think it's well worth it. Hit me back with any suggestions or tips

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
32,898 Posts
So I'm head out to their car and drive his Z28 LS1 before I take out the engine and the trans.
If yours is a LT-1(95) and his is a LS1(98 or newer), you will need to exchange more than just the engine.
The engine, PCM, engine harness, frame mounts for the engine, radiator, exhaust pipes, and any other ancillary items needed for the conversion as you're changing engine configuration.
Not saying it can't be done, just more time involved, a bigger project than anticipated.
Mark with tape and label each connector removed - take plenty of pictures during tear down of both Camaro's so you have reference material to follow.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
When you pull the motor, if that's the route you choose, go from the bottom. Unbolt the motor and subframe from the body and raise the nose/body of the car high enough to get the motor out from underneath.
At 200k, I'd probably go with a used motor or rebuild. All that work to change out one head gasket/head then a week later do it all over again? I'd definitely go with another LT1 in your case.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
The tranny bell housing bolt pattern is different between an LT1 and an LS1...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts