Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, new to the game here, I got my car today, 69 ss/rs convertible, drove all day, starting and stopping, turning car off turning car on, going here and there, doing this and that..no problems, approx 200 miles.

When I went to put the car in the garage, shut it down, antifreeze started to come out of the overflow, about 3/4 of a cup, it eventually stopped.

The temp gage seems to work, just goes above the 2 click while driving.

Sorry about the dumb question.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
that's what the overflow is there for. the coolant expands as it heats up, and after it builds up pressure, the cap lets the excess out. as it cools, it will draw it back in if the cap is good and the rest of the system is sealed. i always fill my radiator to the top, and let it sort itself out.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Since the '69 doesn't have an overflow tank, it will spill onto the floor. I wouldn't worry too much, Just keep an eye on the coolant level, until you get familiar with it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have a 69 convt. also. What I did so I don't have to worry about taking an antifreeze dump in the drive way was to make my own custom overflow tank.
Being my car is not an RS, I put an extra windshield washer bottle set up on the passenger inner fender and ran the tube to that. Since you have a RS, maybe you could do the same thing except install the washer bottle in the location of standard camaros and use your fender bottle for your overflow.
I tell everyone that I have the early experimental overflow kits.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey Gary , I did the same thing with my camaro. Saw it at a car show and had to put it on. Works slick. I used a clear hose so you can see the coolant flowing to and from the resivour.

------------------
-----------------
67 Camaro
84 Z28
89 Camaro
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts