Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did several searches in the Body Shop area of this site but couldn't quite find what I need to know. Considering the purchase of a 67 RS convertible that has visible rust on the outer rockers (rest of body seems good). Need the information below to help determine price (and whether or not I'm going to buy the car). Thx!

Should the inners be replaced while I'm there?

Anyone have an illustrated guide, cross section, exploded view, etc. so I can see the difference in the inners and outers and how they're installed?

What is the price of decent inner rockers (pair - L & R)?

What is the price of decent outer rockers (pair - L & R)?

From whom would you recommend buying the rockers?

How many hours of body shop labor is typically involved in replacing inners & outers (so I can estimate the cost)?

I'm a beginner welder but very mechanical, so I may tackle it myself.

·
Registered
984 Posts
do it yourself.
I bought the inners and outer rockers for my '68'vert, from Classic Industries.
After carefully cutting out the old rockers, I realized I should be replacing the entire rocker, not just inner and outer.
(coupe rockers are different than vert rockers..)

I think the inners and outers were about $100 ea. ($400 both sides)
The complete convertible rocker assembly was much easier to install, and I think I paid $225/ea. for them.

Dynacorn and Goodmark make them.
Find a local dealer to avoid shipping costs.
I actually walked into American Graffiti (a Dynacorn dealer here in Denver), expecting to order a set.
They had a set in stock and I walked out with them the same day, $450.

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
Just got done with doing this. First time I ever touched a welder. Had a friend help out a little and it is not hard. However, with the rockers get ready for the mushroom effect. Mine started as an outer rocker repalcement and ended up like this:

·
11,409 Posts
Convertible rockers are 4 layers of 1/8 thick metal. Do not attempt to replace in peices. Buy the whole rocker assembly for $260 each (prices have gone up some). You have to be a good welder with a beefy MIG (220V) to really get good penetration in the thick metal. Lots of bracing and a couple of guys to lift the rocker (heavy!) and get it in position perfectly. Not for the first timer. My freind would not touch it when we talked about it and he is very experienced!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts