Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I raced my car last night on an 1/8 mile track. Hadn't raced a car in years and years, and never on an 1/8 mile track. Didn't turn times liked I'd hoped. Car as described in my signature. I could barely get into third gear with my 3.31 rear. Had some wheel hop on launch, and fair hookup with Nitto drag radials. I feel my carb is too small, was planning on updating to 670 Street Avenger from the 570 I have. And I know I need better gearing, was thinking of 4.11, but hesitant to do that. It is certainly predominantly a street car, but I would like it to run at least in the 12's.
I ran only 9.07 at 82 MPH in the 1/8 mile. Any comments or suggestions appreciated. You guys are the best.
RJ

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even with the 3.31 gear? What would you recommend for slicks as far as manufacturer and size for my 69 coupe

·
Registered
477 Posts
I ran the 3.31 with a Muncie M21 and was in the 8's (8.36) with a stock 350 + comp cam, Intake & headers, you have a great combo deffinately alot more in there. The 82mph is an 8.5 by itself but when you get her dialed in you'll be 84-86 mph and low 8's high 7's easy.

·
Registered
741 Posts
RJ,
1. Agree with a larger carb.:thumbsup:
2. 373 gear will get you going,:cool: 411 is a bit low for the street.
3. Drag radials and stick shifts don't play well together.:noway:
4. Fix the wheel hop, it can KILL a rear end. See pic, and to veiw the wheel hop that did this, watch the end of the vidio in my sig.:sad: As always JMHO---Bill.

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, Ugly video...
But I'm not sure why you saw drag radials and 4-speeds don't go together. How is that different from slicks and four speeds.
Thanks for the input.
rj

·
Registered
86 Posts
Carb is definitely too small. A 750 is still a good street/strip carb. I guess it would depend on how much you raced it. What kind of 60' times did you record? and what traction control do you use? I use the Cal-Tracs bars and they are SWEET!!

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't have any bars yet. Looking for suggestions. 60' was 2.23. Pretty bad huh???
rj

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Agreed on the carb size and gearing. Depending upon how much you drive and where, obviously 3.73's will help quite a bit. I've always run the 750 Vac. Sec. and then adjust everything. (jets, acc. pump cam, vac. sec. spring)
I think the 750 Vac. Sec. is a better choice than the 670 you mentioned. The 670 matches the mathmatical CFM needs, but tests show that the 750 will indeed give more HP up top.

The 3.31's probably are not so bad but it's a double-whammy against that Victor jr hurting your launch torque. I LOVE the Victor jr, but it seems a tad big for your current combo IMHO. You could keep the gears and try the Performer RPM, or, keep the Victor and run more gear.

Have you checked out the timing advance vs RPM yet? Just to ensure you're getting the Total that you want and early enough in the RPM range....

good list of parts, you'll be running 12's easily with just a change or two.

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks BA,
I was sort of against the Victor Jr. when I was doing the build, but my buddy with tons of racing experience talked me into it. I was considering the Edelbrock Performer RPM air-gap, dual plane instead.
Do you think the Victor Jr would be ok if I went to 4.10 gears, or should I still make an intake change.
My distributor is a proform HEI with 16 degrees initial and 20 more all in by 2000 RPM. I have run it up to 38 degrees before with no ping or starter issues. I run the vacuum advance also. What model 750 would you suggest? Do you have any opinions on the 770 Street Avenger?
I sure appreciate the input.
rj

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm not sure why you saw drag radials and 4-speeds don't go together. How is that different from slicks and four speeds.
rj
When some BFG drag radials didn't work for me,:noway: (they didn't seem to have the ability to regain traction). I talked with the techs at Mickey Thompson, they told me, don't even try the MT drag radials. Go with slicks or ET streets, with a clutch car.

I would think a trans brake car, would hit the tires just as hard as a clutch car. The trans brake guys don't seem to have the problem :confused: .

As allways JMHO ---Bill.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If it was me I'd work on those 60ft times, maybe slapper bars, gears and some drag shocks up front. But the big question is did you have fun running your car ?

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rich
Haha, I sure did. I forgot how much I loved it. Can't wait to go again, but I want it to do better. Lots to think about. I REALLY appreciate what you guys had to say, and I will take it to heart. I guess my next course of action will be to look at the Cal Trak bars, go with bigger Holley, maybe 750, vacuum secondaries, either 4.10 gear and keep the Victor Jr, or maybe 3.70's and go to Performer RPM air-gap, slicks.
I know I need to get the 60 foot time way down. That would make a huge difference in ET alone. Any other comments or suggestions always appreciated.
Sincerely,
RJ

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
RJ, if it were me, yeah, I'd swap out the manifold regardless of the gears used. I just feel that your cam and cubic inches are better suited to the other manifold.
The 4.1x gears would have helped alleviate that to a degree but it would be a compromise package.

I don't think I read what rear springs you're using and whether they're new or not.
Some Cal-Tracs or something would be really fantastic like someone said above. I didn't realize you were considering that too.

The 4.1x's are a little steep for too much highway running, but wow, if you had 4.1x gearing AND Cal-tracs, and the different manifold and carb. You'd be in the mid-twelves for sure I'd think. That's a solid package.
(We're good at spending OPM.....other peoples money)

I think you'd be happy with 3.73s as well though. You may have some traction issues with 4.1x gears and stock tires. :) woohooo!

Enjoy that next trip to the track! Let us know how it goes!

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks BA,
I have the stock 5 leaf springs in the back. Totally original suspension as a matter of fact. I checked out the Cal Trac website. A bit pricier than I'd hoped, but I did get some wheel hop, so I figure they will help lots. Seem to be a pretty popular traction device. I agree on the 4.10, and feel I could live pretty well with the 3.70 gear on the street. I think I will change the intake though. Besides the recommendation from my buddy on the Victor, I got it on ebay for only $90 and it was like new. Performer RPM's seem to be harder to find at a lower price. Will look though.
Thanks again.
rj

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys
Kept the Vic Jr for now, put on Slide-A-Links, the 10.5 slicks, 750 Quick Fuel dp, 4.10's, 38 degrees all in by 2000, 60' times dropped from 2.20-2.40 down to 1.79 so far. Ran 8.10 at 87 MPH, still feel there is a lot left. Shifting still leaves a lot to be desired. Next goal is 7.60. I think it's possible for sure.
My 750 has #74 primary jets and #84 sec. jets. I thought they were too big, but dropped down two sizes and car didn't run as well. Any suggestions there?
Guess I should still switch to the performer rpm air gap, just didn't want to spend the money.
Anyone think this setup can run 7.05 in the 1/8th without spray?
All opinions welcome.
Thanks guys
rj

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Yeah...Go for the RPM air gap. It suits your combo much better. That XE274 is a mid range cam and you are probably losing 15-20 fptq(if not more) in the lower to mid range. That will help your 60 foot times as well as your shift recovery. What rpm's do you make your shifts???

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've tried lots of combos, but usually shift around 5800-6000. I've tried just running through lights in third gear at higher rpm, and shifting to 4th gear and only turning 4500-4800 rpm through the lights. This is 8th mile track of course. Could have uti.lized 4.56 better for 8th mile, but that was too stiff for street for me.
rj

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Yup....with 5800-6000 rpm shifts a RPM air gap is much better for your cubes and set up. Seat of the pants feel should be better as well.

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everyone has been telling me to go to the Air Gap over the Vic jr, except for my best friend, haha. He insists that the Vic is the way to go since I want the top end hp; however, I never agreed with his logic since I don't turn big rpm that the Vic needs. I went with the Vic because of his opinion and because I got a good price for the almost new Vic. Seems hard to find a bargain with the rpm air gap. Maybe that should have told me something as well!!
Anyway, my 60' times and my lack of low end torque have pretty much convinced me that for my application, everyone else was right.
Thanks again for the help. I have also been trying to find out what front shocks to use for the strip that will be still good for the street, and which will improve my front end travel and weight transfer. I still have to disconnect my sway bar for strip use as well. Also looking to go to the original cowl induction setup to decrease the amount of hot under hood air going into the carb. Any opinions on that?
Thanks
rj

1 - 20 of 23 Posts