Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would you consider excessive when breaking in a new motor using these rings. I know it'll take some mileage for them to seat but how many quarts of oil should I expect to burn through for the first 500 or 1000 miles?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
There are chrome rings and there are moly rings, but there are no chromoly rings. Chrome moly is a high strength steel used for roll cages and the like.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a lot of oil getting sucked in through the PCV valve, I'm gonna put a breather there instead, I think that's where the oil's going

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
There's a lot of oil getting sucked in through the PCV valve, I'm gonna put a breather there instead, I think that's where the oil's going
I'd keep the PCV valve and get a good baffle.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Might think about putting onna those cut the tip off of the rubber breather grommets and see if it doesn't oil baffle better for you, I did.

pdq67

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Shouldn't get a lot of oil past the rings. Even while breaking in,I mean not enough to even notice.Rings nowadays will seat pretty quick if everything done right-ring gaps,honing,proper piston to bore clearance. If you ever suspect rings do a leak down test.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Good idea. I did this about a month or so ago to my 406, and my oil consumption problem was eliminated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts