Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very excessive noise coming from my valves. From what i've heard this is not too uncommon. any ideas on how to quiet them down would be appreaciated. the engine is a 77' 350. with 75,000 original miles. no modifications. have adjusted valves 2 times.

·
10,144 Posts
Could be build up of crud in the lifters from lack of proper oil changing.
Another thing is, I've seen rockers wear in the pushrod socket to where they would not pass oil. If you take one off and look at the socket there should be a depression where the tip of the pushrod goes. This allows oil to escape out of the hole in the rocker. If the rocker gets too worn, it won't vent the lifter oil. I doubt with 75,000 miles that is your problem, but you might check it. If you pull one, make it an exhaust, they run hotter and wear more.
David
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 05-23-2000).]

·
Registered
572 Posts
77 350 with 75,000 miles, 2 adjustments, just a guess but I would think that the cam lobes and the bottom of the lifters are pounded to dust, For sure if after an adjustment they were quiet and got noisey after a few miles.
Time to consider some major work,

·
Registered
572 Posts
As an after thought, if the the adjustment does nothing for quieting the noise then you should look at the valve guides, back off the rocker arm, with a small bar / screwdriver try to push the valve and spring towards the centre of the engine. do this gently, you don't want to bend anything, is there a lot of movemnet at the top of the valve stem, if there is then I would think that the guides are toast. Again time to invest in some major work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts