Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got this late 70's 454 in my 69 right now, i dont know much about it but its got a four bolt main a small cam with open chamber heads.

Was doing some tests over the weekend and noticed that when revving or going above 2,000 rpm it has some crazy shake to the car.

My question is wheather or not its normal since its a big block or if it may be because of the spacers in between the motor mounts for the sway bar and 7 quart oil pan.

The mounts are all new and aftermarket

·
14,081 Posts
Crazy shaking is not normal. I'd start by checking the balancer and motor mounts

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
454 is an external balance motor? , thus the balancer and possible flywheel components need to be checked. You did not say what the drive train was so I could suspect there is still a counter weight on the flex plate?

·
Super Moderator
32,518 Posts
As said, no shakes, and needs counterweighted on the flex plate if automatic, or weighted flywheel - more material in one area - if manual.
The flex plate should have a weight welded to it.
The harmonic balancer up front, will have an inconsistent shape about the outer ring physical shape.
Another item for vibration would be a cheap aftermarket torque convertor.

The above statements, mine and earlier posts, are true if the engine itself runs smooth(?) meaning no missing cylinders during the power stroke of the cycle - no missing ign fire and no burnt valves or valves staying open.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been a while but time for an update.

Took the inspection cover off, and come to find out there was this aftermarket flywheel with no weights on it. So ordered a new flywheel, sent the atranny to get checked out since it was already off the car and then went and got a hurst competition plus shifter.

Anyway, got everything back in the car, hopefull that this would also fix the clutch problem but was soon mistaken once the car was back together.

Question is for a 454 is there a certain clutch yoke or size of the throw out berring thats required?

·
Registered
209 Posts
What specific problem are you having with the clutch? Details help us help you. Are you using the manual clutch linkage with Z-bar or hydraulic clutch?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What specific problem are you having with the clutch? Details help us help you. Are you using the manual clutch linkage with Z-bar or hydraulic clutch?
Right so im having trouble disengaging now. i was able to drive the car but i would have to really force it in to get it into first and if tried reverse id grind it up so i dont think that i am able to fully disengage. i know i have the correct clutch rod so im wondering if its the right zbar i guess or clutch yoke

i have clutch linkage with zbar.

·
Registered
951 Posts
If the z bar is stock, the only changes that can be made assuming you have the correct fork are the ball stud and throw out bearing. Jody just hooked me up with the correct ones based on bellhousing and flywheel. Are you able to use the correct adjuster rod? I needed a longer one, that told Jody that my geometry was wrong, correct stud and throw out bearing and all is good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts