Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am i naive in thinking i could bolt on the Magnaflow exhaust kits without any mods if i order it? I have a BB but have used the correct mounts so the motor is sitting correctly....and have a Tremec with the custom crossmember......I be stepping down from the collectors to 2.5 pipes and it looks like it will clear, but barely....

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
From my experience with MagnaFlow, they seem to really do their homework. I have a small block and I got their 2.5" system and it went right on. The only issue I did have was, I had a driveshaft loop and the loop was installed right where the "X" fixture sits so the loop had to go. Other than that, it went right on. I had the system installed BEFORE I went to a TKO-600. The tranny went in with zero issues. The crossmember bolted in and there was no need to modify ANYTHING. Now remember, this is with a small block, but I would expect the big block to be the same, especially since you have the correct mounts and stands.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Please note, that with a big block you need a crossmember that moves the transmission tail, to the passenger side, 1/2 inch and forward 3/4 of an inch. Not all manufactures of crossmembers, will do this. The only way to be sure is to measure what you have ! Don't believe what they say or what they think they know. You will have trouble fitting headers if you do not have this. For the rest of the exhaust, I do not know if the offset will make a difference or not.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Please note, that with a big block you need a crossmember that moves the transmission tail, to the passenger side, 1/2 inch and forward 3/4 of an inch. Not all manufactures of crossmembers, will do this. The only way to be sure is to measure what you have ! Don't believe what they say or what they think they know. You will have trouble fitting headers if you do not have this. For the rest of the exhaust, I do not know if the offset will make a difference or not.
thanks i think im ok on that..the crossmember came with the conversion kit for the TKO specified for a BB...had no issues with the headers (other than a slight dimple for the steering box) or alignment with the driveshaft .....if i were to come straight off the collectors, i would hit the crossmember, but the reducers should make the pipe just miss (i hope)

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
thanks i think im ok on that..the crossmember came with the conversion kit for the TKO specified for a BB...had no issues with the headers (other than a slight dimple for the steering box) or alignment with the driveshaft .....if i were to come straight off the collectors, i would hit the crossmember, but the reducers should make the pipe just miss (i hope)
This is what I am concerned about. You must measure your crossmember. You should not have had to Dimple your headers. You can only measure for the 1/2" offset. The 3/4" is from the small blocks location.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
there is always going to be a little fabrication when putting exhaust on the car- no two cars are the same, and there are a lot of different headers out there.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Novaderrik, Headers are not usually the problem. Either somebody changed something from stock or they do not have the correct pieces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts