Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have headers, 3 inch pipes into flowmasters, and 2.5 in tailpipes...it is a "true dual" system...

Considering going with 2.5 inch system, and Turbo style mufflers--what will give the best muslecar sound/performance--True dual or "X" or 'H" pipe (right now, it sounds like I should be running at the brickyard)?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,178 Posts
There will be a lot of different opinions on this one.

Like you, mine was too loud for me.
I put on an "H" pipe with DynoMax Super Turbos and I could not be happier with it.
It has a great mellow sound and is fairly quiet at idle.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts
keith,

both the x and h pipe will quiet the exhaust to some degree. how much is hard to gauge and sound quality is very subjective. if you consider the physical configuration of both pipes, the exhaust gases will flow better with the x pipe.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
My buddy has the exhaust on his wife's 67 the same as yours currently is, and it's loud as hell. Even with a mild 327, its louder than my 3" dumped at the axle through magnaflows and an X, behind a pretty stout 406.

An X or H on your current set up would help a lot, and magnaflows would further help. Sound is a very subjective person to person, but I love the sound of my magnaflows and the X pipe. I would add an X or even an H to what you have or just swap mufflers for now, personally. Do muffs and see what you think.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does the 3 inch to 2.5 inch quiet it down as well?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
does the 3 inch to 2.5 inch quiet it down as well?
Yes I would say so.
With your deal if what you have is in good shape try just swapping mufflers to a straight through type like a magnaflow or borla, etc, and put an H crossover on it, thats the cheapest route. Some don't like the magnaflow sound but I love it, deep and mellow. I have had flowmasters on two cars and I'm just tired of the sound personally, too tinny and rattly (if thats a word..)
Heck, you could just put the crossover on first and see what you think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts