Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i find out the diameter of my exhaust system?

Its a stock 1985 2.8l v6 173ci camaro. And i can't find any information on it.

I plan on relacing it from the Y-pipes if anyone is curious why i ask such a question.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
503 Posts
My father inlaws old 86 firebird had a 2.8L and the exhaust was 2 1/4 or 2 1/2. The easiest way to find out is to use vanier(?) calipers to measure the over all diameter of the pipe.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

[This message has been edited by Joekool1234567 (edited 11-27-2001).]

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
he's got ya, use the calipers, that'll tell ya. theres an equation for measureing the circumference of the pipe and finding the diameter but i dont know it off hand, not much help sorry
unless you know the equation.

[This message has been edited by CamaroNOTcamero (edited 11-26-2001).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The equation will be simple once i ask my father

But thank you guys!!!!!

So far, this website has been the best at solving my problems, and i don't even think my "newer" car questions would be answered by you guys.

Thanks alot!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Use a C-clamp and adjust it so it just fits over the pipe. Then measure the opening of your clamp this will tell you the outside diameter.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm no math expert but I believe if you measure around the whole pipe (circumference) in a complete circle then divide by 3.1416(PI)you will get your diameter.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
sschevyfan is correct. Circumference = pi x diameter. So, use a string to measure around your pipe and divide by pi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts