Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i just got new 1 5/8 in dynomax headers, a hedman x-pipe crossover, and dual hooker maximum force mufflers installed. well the mufflers hang real close to the ground and scrape EASILY is there anything i can do about this? should i raise the rear of the car a little bit or something? would i pick up an inch or two? thanks for help, ill probably go back pretty soon to wherei had them installed and see if they can tuck the mufflers in any more, but still is there anything else i can do?

Connor :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
I had the same problem with my 72. The front end was so shot, and so low because of it, I had to add air shocks to the rear to help it out a bit. I couldn't go thru a drive thru car wash without the sub frame hanging up on the guide rail. LOL
Which is one reason the car is tore down now. ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
connoro,

i would go back to the shop and explain how much ground clearance you need. chances are the shop can do it right and hang them closer to the floor. just doesn't seem right they hung it so low you scrape everywhere....
one thing that catches my eye on some otherwise cool rides, is an exhaust that hangs just too low, usually with mufflers pointing in odd directions. i like a tight look that you dont notice from the rear and gives you max clearance.(with maine roads you need max clearance!)
personally i wouldn't change the ride height,ie. air shocks, to accomodate low hanging mufflers as a long term solution. short term sure, you dont wan to ruin your new exhaust parts.
how much clearance is there between the floorpan and the top of your mufflers ? how tall are the mufflers,i'm not familar with them?
if they're already very tight to the floor, then notching the floorpan would be my next course.
with a #'s matching '71 this may not be an option for you.
good luck
kip

·
Registered
571 Posts
Raising the tail does help. The part you might have problems with the most on speed bumps is the collector-exhaust connection plates. It's about an inch of extra protrusion. With the rear raised the headers are the only rear contact with the ground. The mufflers will have plenty of room. I'm sure you are already remembering your routes and hazards. Anyway the 71 I have originally had flow masters but i've gone to turbo mufflers that are less racket. I might try cherry bombs or thrush glass packs next since they are thin and smooth allowing me to be able to bring the rear back down to stock and get some real cornering performance. Taking speed bumps slow and at an angle is the best tip I can give you for now. I'm close to dumping the air shocks so I might have a real report on how good glass packs do staying out of the dirt.
1. Glass packs are cheap and quiter than flow masters. uh maybe
2. Air shocks (looking like a dragster).
3. 15" rims in the rear.
4. Questionable speed bumps at an angle.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would take it back and have them raise it up tighter top the car. notching the floor pan
I wouldn't hack up the floor on a ford much less any camaro. If you can't get it up any tighter with what you have start pulling of the mufflers and get some that will fit bettter, or as snatchen gears said but, don't ever hack up a car for and exhaust...speedy

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds like a very poor installation to me. I have a 69 big block car with 3” from the headers to a set of Flowmasters and 2 1/2’” out. The installer was a real craftsman. It can be done

1 - 6 of 6 Posts