Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of detailing the underneath side of my 69 pace car. After removing the chambered exhaust system I realized something strange. There is a bracket that is spot welded to the trunk floor that is being used as a place to attach an exhaust hanger on the left side. This bracket is located on the left side of the trunk floor just forward of the left drain plug. This bracket looks to be original and I never though much about it until I started looking at new exhaust systems and hangers. Looks to me like the correct hanger setup for 69 dual exhaust (both chambered and non-chambered) consists of four hangers, one on each tailpipe and the two J-hangers just forward of the axle. My car does have these four hangers but it also has this one extra bracket that the top left chambered muffler was attached to by way of a muffler clamp and a flexible rubber strap. Does anyone have any idea if this bracket is original and what its real purpose is? This bracket has one horizontal hole and one vertical threaded hole.

------------------
Larry W.
1969 Z11 Pace Car
My Pace Car

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
The only bracket common to chambered exhaust and standard dual exhaust is the pass side tailpipe hanger. (in the wheel well)

The driver side tailpipe hanger has an extension on it so that it attaches to the tailpipe further aft, and still uses stock attachment locations on the frame rail.

The muffler hangers are totally different. The standard uses a metal strap with a looped rubber hanger on the end. The chambered uses a rubber strap with metal attachments at each end.

It's hard to describe, but look in any resto house catalog and you can see the differences in the hangers.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
The stock hangers were bolted to the floor, just aft of where the rear footwell curves up ( looking from underneath). These bolts often broke off. My car had hangers welded in too. I cut/ground them off and drilled out the broken bolts. A real pain but I couldn't stand the buggered weld jobs.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,Autogear M22,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

[This message has been edited by RickD (edited 01-28-2003).]

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unreal, I see what you are saying about the hangers. In fact, I am looking at pictures of both the chambered and standard dual exhaust hanger kits right now. I totally understand the two tailpipe hangers on both the standard and chambered systems. As for the other two hangers, I understand how the two "J" hooks work for the chambered exhaust. As for the standard exhuast, where do these two hangers attach to the body? Do they attach to the same threaded holes in the underbody that the chambered system attaches to? If not, maybe this explains the purpose of the bracket that is spot welded to my trunk floor. I am aware that 69 pace cars did not some with chambered exhaust so mine must have been added years ago. From the factory it would have had standard dual exhaust.

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonesy:
The bolt holes for the muffler hangers are at the top center of this picture. above the bolt hole for the seat belt.

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/media.cgi?site=jonesy&folder=*&group=1&page=*&id=1 024177573-000407
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are the holes that my "J" hooks attach to. I am thinking that this mystery bracket I am referring to is not original and was tacked onto my trunk floor for additional support. I wish I had a digital camera so I could post a picture of it. Does anyone have a pic of the entire trunk floor area for a 69 that came with factory dual exhaust?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Actually Pace Cars were built in the time period when chambered was still an available option under RPO NC8. This RPO was cancelled in June or July of 69. On early 69 b/b (I want to think before Nov or Dec 68) chambered was standard.

The regular dual exhaust hanger attacned to the tailpipe upstream of the muffler, and downstream of the resonators, if so equiped. I believe they used the same threaded hole as the chambered J hanger.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by secndgn:
Indy, is this it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the bracket! What is this bracket for, anyone??

[This message has been edited by Indy Z11 (edited 01-29-2003).]

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by secndgn:
On page 117(UPC8 A4) of an assembly manual you will see that bracket. Its used to hang the muffler on drivers side for single exhaust.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would my pace car have this bracket? Was this bracket attached to all 69's regardless of the options?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts