Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Big Block Camaro. There are a old set of Hooker Headers on the car at this time , However I do not like the way they fit . They Hit the steering box and tight on the starter, they also hit the oil pan. They may be very old , i'm not sure , but what do you think is best?
Do they Make a nice fitting set of Headers ?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Headers are the way to go for sure. These items really do help with the power. Also, if I am not mistaken, you will need to lengthen the exhaust pipes again to re-connect a manifold should you decide to do so. As for headers, although I cannot think of an exact model # or make off the top of my head, there are some that fit well. Even if you have to do a bit of bending to get them around the steering box, it is by far the best choice in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
consider buying a nice pair of dynomax coated headers for a camaro, i've heard they fit much better then hookers. i've worked on two different types of cars with hooker headers, one was a BB mopar and the other is a corvette, its a pain in the A*S! to change sparkplugs, plus they rust like a m*ther, but then again most non coated headers do that.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey ,
Does anyone use Heddman Headers? I have a Part # 68190 . If you bought these Please let me know what you think ?
Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am with Tom on this one. I also had headers on my big block and switched back to manifolds. POR 15 makes a coating for exhaust manifolds that keeps them looking good for a long time. But if you are looking for that extra power stay with the headers. Erik

·
Registered
67 Posts
You would be surprized how well your car does work with manifolds! My 427 iron motor has gone 12.69 on F70-14 poly's with them on. It really makes people sratch there head when they see them! My aluminum 427 has gone low 12's with the cast iron manifolds on poly's as well! Admittedly the aluminum made 50 more horse with headers on the dyno, but when people see headers they expect you to go fast.

Peter

·
Registered
650 Posts
I truely doubt it, but I may be wrong. If such a product does exist, then it would likely just "last longer" rather than "stay on" forever. Powder coating is cheap according to a friend of mine who works at a powder coat shop, and it WILL stay on. They bake it on in temperatures greater than what the headers are subjected to.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah , You know I was thinking in the first place ,to put the stock manifolds on .
Maybe at another time have them Extrude Honed. Is that the right spelling ? Anyhow Know I have to find a pair of Manifolds.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm going with manifolds, from every thing I've read and seen i can't imagine taking a hammer to a set of $300.00 to $600.00 headers to make them fit.Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
If your #1 priority is getting that last bit of power, period, headers will help you get there. However, they're generally a PITA on a street-driven car due to fit problems, interferences, noise, heat, exhaust leaks, ground clearance, etc., etc. Just depends how you intend to use the car, what your priorities are, and what kind of compromises you're willing to accept when you drive the car every day just so you can say "I've got headers".

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
650 Posts
I had some headers on a 305 once (they came with the car). They were cheapos, and they rusted out pretty quickly. I then went and put on the stock manifolds and wow, what a burn! The power loss was astonishing, and very noticeable. This was on a 305 sb as opposed to a bb mind you, and that may be something to note. I now run a 350 with manifolds and it still puts out the power pretty good. I have not tried headers on it, nor will I, but when I get the 406 in there, I think I will want some good headers to match the custom exhaust and aftermarket heads. It just seems kinda senseless to me to get the good flow through everything only to be halted by a poor flowing exhaust manifold. I figure, for another $250, why not go all the way, so to speak.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
One common problem with bb/headers is the wrong engine mount brackets/crossmember. Headers are engineered to fit a factory bb installation. A bb will physically fit on sb brackets but will be tight on the LH side; wiper motor, steering box, clutch linkage may interfere.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've hunted around and have yet to find a company that guarantees a fit without modification on a 69 BB with power steering and power brakes. The ones i've seen claim to fit only manual steering. Some say switch to a manual gearbox...aint gonna happen! Others say they will fit with some minor mods but if I pay $300-$600 for headers they better bolt right in because if I start banging and they still don't work, I'm out some serious money. If anyone knows of a brand that will bolt right in on my setup I'd like to know, otherwise I'm stickin with the manifolds!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I here ya and agree 100% By the way I have a real nice RH BB manifold and it's for sale 3916178

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you want a reliable leak free exhaust and not excessive under hood heat, no harsh metallic noise inside and not too much loss of performance , forget the headers - you also won't be grounding the exhaust at every minor hump on the road as well.
I've used both and all I can say is thank god for cast iron.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
If the choice was mine I would rather spend my Saturdays cruising than changing header gaskets that always seem to blow out after a few months. Give me the old cast irons anyday!

------------------
Looking for 67 project car!!!!!

[This message has been edited by cpodeep (edited 11-16-2001).]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts