Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my problem is with my 85 bird I took out the stock 305 put in the 383 out of my 79z ( to make room for the up and coming 402bb) I knew I would have a problem here or there but not like this see I was running open headers on the camaro the usual shorty style 3 bolt well since this is going to be a daily driver I was just going to use the factory exhaust with the manifolds off the 305.well I got to hooking it all up today and everything went well until I got to the driver s manifolds it wont work where it exits into the exhaust on the other side is the hole for the dipstick.I cant use the old manifolds or the headers cause they are a 3 bolt pattern and the 85 factory exhaust is a 2 bolt. and as of right now all my money is going to pay off my 79 and buying parts for the 402 so I have no money. so my question is simply what do I do, cut everything up and make some kind of frankenstein exhuast or what ? any input would help.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
I am actually not sure of the problem (we gotta buy you an enter button :) ). Will the manifolds not bolt to the heads? Is the dipstick on the wrong side for your manifolds?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the manifold will bolt on but the opeining for the dip stick would be blocked by the exhuast collector on the manifold.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I "think" he's got an early block with the dipstick on the wrong side?
Not sure wut to do about it.... other than buy or make up a custom dipstick tube that will go around the manifold.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
A poor man's solution to "wrong side" dip stick is to change the oil. Using the correct late model dipstick, trim off a couple of inches (about four to start) and keep cutting the mild steel dip stick tube shorter and shorter with a mini tubing cutter until the "Full" mark is reached on the dip stick when seated at the top of the tube. Bend dip stick tube with tubing bender (3/8th die) to clear the shorty header pipes. Weld up header pipe from shortty header to mufflers and enjoy.

Larger Dave (aka "Big Dave")

1 - 7 of 7 Posts