Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I found an 88 IROC with 58k original miles it. The place I bought it from put a new exhaust on the car because the old one wouldn't pass inspection. This is a 1988 IROC w/5.7 t.p.i. and all the trimmings. The dealership put on a single exhaust and cat. I am assuming that this is not the way the car came stock. The car is running a little rough and very rich. When I pull it into the garage, I smell a very strong odor of gas. I assume that since the dealership went cheap, they screwed up the exhaust which in turn has screwed up the emissions on the car. Am I even close on this one?
Also, can I run a true dual exhaust on this car? If so, do I need to modify the intake? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
i`d look into o2 sensor, or coolant temp sensor...both can cause a rich condition...see if you can get the codes read...if you get it scanned, look in the data stream to see if the o2 is switching, and if the temp is reading correctly...(you can guesstimate if the temp sensor is correct or not by waiting till the top rad hose is hot, then seeing if the temp semsor reads between 190-225) if it reads really low, it will tell the comp to richen up the mix...(acts like a choke)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try and find a way to get the codes read on the car. But If I don't have any lights on the dash illuminated, will I get any codes?
I'm just assuming that when you tinker with the exhaust, it just throws the who emissions off on the car.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
you wont nessecarily get codes...the computer will store any codes in it that werent cleared either by scanner or disconnecting the battery even if the light isnt on, though...the 87 has a much more primative system than todays computer systems...they dont nessecarily know when theres a problem...like a coolant temp sensor thlling the comp that the engine is -30 degrees...in this case, the computer will run the engine super fat to compensate for the cold engine...basically, you can look at the data stream that the comp sees to figure out if the comp is seeing real world figures, or false info, and go from there...you could try just changing the 2 sensors...they`re about 20 dollars each...

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Your car originally came with a y-pipe off the manifolds to the single cat, then a large single pipe (3" I think?) back to a single inlet dual outlet transverse muffler, with dual tailpipes.

The 6 and 4 cylinder cars had similar systems, but smaller piping and single tailpipe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts