Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys what kind of flow masters do the tangs have on them they sound good to me 40s 50s 60s and how many chambers.I would like to put them on my 68 and what size pipes.thanks jeff

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I think that the 40 series is the most popular. It is a two chamber muffler I believe.

X

·
0 Posts
"Tangs"?? Mustangs?

You gotta remember the exhaust will sound different on just about every car. I think the flowmasters sound good on mustangs but I don't like them on camaros as much.

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM Package- TH350
<LI>2000 Gmc Sonoma - 5-speed 4.10 rear
[/list]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Otherwise known as Mustclangs, Rustangs, or simply "the enemy".

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
hey watch it! ive always had chevys, my first car was a 68 camaro, but the 80s camaros got me looking at mustangs. ive got an 89 5 litre ragtop thats my daily driver, had it for 10 yrs, 200k miles, and a lot of those were a 1/4 mile at a time(yes even my daily driver). its been a great car. its got 3 chamber flowmasters, 2 1/2 mandrel bent pipe w/ a dr. gas x pipe. i get a sh!tload of compliments on the exhaust, and i like it too. i bought my camaro to go fast, though, and i just had to have another one. as far as the enemy goes, its those coffee-can exhaust rice cookers, not any american made iron, IMO. ok, go ahead and flame me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The Mustang guys typically use 2 chamber Flowmasters to get the sound that you are describing. However, the reason Mustangs sound the way they do is because of their firing order. If you put 2 chamber Flowmasters on your Camaro, it won't sound like a Mustang because the engine's firing order is different. The Chevy firing order makes a more rumpety or pulsating sound while the Ford firing order is a smoother, more consistent sound. I personally dislike the sound of the Mustangs - I think it sounds too much like a droning sound. I have a friend that has 2 chambers on his 94 Cobra, and I have 2 chambers on my 350 Camaro, and the two cars sound completely different. In my opinion 2 chambers on a Camaro sound way cooler than on a Mustang...I commonly get complements on the sound from the Mustang guys - I've got the American Thunder system with 2.5" pipes with H-pipe and 2 chamber delta flow mufflers.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

My 1967 Camaro

·
19,835 Posts
question ? why would you want to sound like a 5.slow? hehe had to throw that in there.
I just finished installing a Flowmaster American Thunder system (17129) dual (not the single muff) with the H pipe, had it running and sounds great, its tucked up nice,and exits behind rear tires at the quarter panels. Yes they use 40 series 3 chambers,2.5" mandrel bent aluminized pipe.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the "enemy' is whoever happens to be in the other lane at any given time.could be a stang, ricer, camaro, Nova, lowered 64 Impala...whatever. they are the mortal enemy if they seem really cocky and think they are the fastest thing this side of Top Fuel. those guys are fun to put down, especially if their girlfriend is in the car.. not saying my car is the fastest thing around, but faster than some in the area. so far, a couple of new Z28's, couple of stangs, S-10 with no muffler, and Honda with wing and big tip- not too impressive, and only up to legal speed. after that, i just wave and watch them motor off. one guy got pulled over after he "raced me". drove by and honked and waved...
oh, yeah, this was about exhaust. Flowmaster rules.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go with the Flowmaster 40's they sound wicked when you get on the gas. And by the way I own a 67 Camaro as well as a 95 Mustang GTS and I love both of them.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
novaderrik, yes ill have too agree with you on that enemy comment. nothing better than shutting down some cocky jackass! some of my favorites are beating other 5.0s w/ my stock looking 5.0 ragtop(runs 13.70s at 102), after they brag about how thiers "should run low 12s". and yes i have 2 chamber flowmasters on my '68, with an h pipe, and its totally different from my 5 litre. the x pipe does change the sound, i think its pretty sweet sounding, thinking about putting one on my camaro.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts