Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will need to put an exhaust on my 68 pretty soon. I live in an area where ther is a LOT! of Police around. I don`t want to get pulled over all of the time. any recommendations I have a 400 sb. I will be putting headers on but I don`t know which kind yet. Will I have to get catalitic converters? I have heard if you have an older car you don`t have to put them on,any truth to this.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I'm not an expert in the "what is best for your car " catagory. (only you are)

My previous car (had a 350 in it) was fairly quiet using a factory style 2 in & 2 out transverse muffler with a cross over pipe just behind the collectors.

I really didn't care if it made as much horsepower as the best high performance system, but it worked, wasn't too loud & sounded great.

I've heard the Flowmaster muffler on a similar car & it was not too loud at all.

Just my 2 cents worth (.0035 cents U.S.)

Paul

------------------
250 inline 6, 4 speed & disc brakes.
V8 camaros are like navels.... Everybody has one.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
it is actually illegal in many states to install cat converters on a car that didn't originally have them. Fire hazard I believe.

·
Registered
257 Posts
dual 2 1/2 (or 3 if you can fit it) with flowmaster 60 series and an x pipe. I think it's the 60's that are more quiet. the x pipe will quiet it down a bit.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Go with the 2 1/2 and flowmaster three chambered mufflers. Great sound without the obnoxious sound. DONT GET the two chambered ones they are way too loud. Also have your exhaust guy weld in a cross over pipe. This evens out the exhaust and smooths things out. VERY nice sound. Just my thoughts though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
no one has mention this consideration yet....consider the noise INSIDE the car...some mufflers resonate inside more than others....makes for very noisy trip inside the car.....

X

·
0 Posts
Exhaust to loud???

Is there such a thing?

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM Package- TH350
<LI>2000 Gmc Sonoma - 5-speed 4.10 rear
[/list]

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have the Delta Flow 40 series Flowmaster mufflers that came with my American Thunder kit. The interior resonance isn't bad at all... except at exactly 875 rpm... (well, maybe not exactly but there abouts).

Anyway, when you are just cruising around they put out a good humm sound, but they do get pretty loud when you stomp the gas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll probably catch flack for this, but I agree with xodus921. No such thing as too loud. I ran two Cherry bomb glasspacks with a pipe running back to just before the rear wheels. I ran this setup in a small conservative town and I never had any problems. Of course the chief of police owned a '69 Camaro. That may account for the tolerance. I don't know.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i vote for the Flowmaster crossflow kit, with an X-pipe replacing the H pipe. that's what i got on my Nova, and everyone likes it. no resonation inside the car, either. actually, it is rather quiet inside.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have the Borla stainless duel kit on my 69. The turbo mufflers sound great without too much noise inside or out. I guess noise is a matter of opinion, so its really up to you(and maybe your local law enforcement officer) to decide what is right.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The car is a muscle car and should sound like one, make it sound nice then add some insulation if it is to load on the inside of the car. I have had some pretty load camaros over the years and never had a problem with the cops other then getting pulled over so that they could get a closer look and maybe hear about the one that they used to have.

·
Super Moderator
32,448 Posts
You're too loud when Mr. Cop gives you a ticket for excessive noise, that's when you're too loud.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

[This message has been edited by Everett#2390 (edited 02-20-2002).]

·
Registered
83 Posts
To answer the cat question...you are not required to install them on a car that never had them factory installed, which in your case is NO! There is a very real fire hazard in doing this, since the floor pans were not designed for cats...cars with cats had floor pans designed around the cats to maximize airflow (and cooling) around the cat to prevent this.

------------------
1973 Type LT Camaro ...the daily driver

1968 2 door sport coupe...the toy!

1970 Chevelle SS396 (L34)...numbers matching, all original!

American Muscle Cars...as seen in Super Chevy Magazine, THE Camaro/Chevelle/El Camino we do other stuff too!) resto shop in SoCal

The Monday Nite Car Club!...our car club

·
Registered
389 Posts
WHAT??? ;)

Seriously, I agree with most of the posts...
Not too loud but deep and tough is what I want to get out of my 327.

I know it's not a big block but w/ a set of FlowMaster 40's it should sound good. I hope!

Rob

·
Registered
79 Posts
Save yourself some money and cut'em off at the header.

If it's too loud the local athuorities are nice enough to come right to your door and tell you so. They did for me. "ah to be young and bullit proof again"

It's true, however I don't really recommend it.

------------------
1968 RS/SS 454 TH400 Black Deluxe Interior
"Another Day.... Another $100.00 worth of parts..."

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey! RFrenette, that is exactly what I am looking for as far as sound. I talked with my local muffler shop he reccommended turbo`s over Flow masters is he on target?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts