Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted last week in the engine section to no avail, hopefully I will get more response here!
Last wednesday I dropped my new motor into the '68 and the oil pan, a circle track extra capacity with trap doors and such, sat on the steering linkage (drag link I think).
this motor is built to spin up to about 7500 rpm. from what i have read after about 6k rpm you need more oil capacity. does anyone have any suggestions for a new extra capacity pan. I would certainly like to get one for less than the $2-300 I see most of them in the Summit catalog for. I really don't know which one to get, that will fit. please help!

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I've been running the Moroso 20191 and it works great. It has a crank scraper and windage screen built in. It's the second one listed above.

Edit - Just noticed that Summit notes the max stroke for both pans is 3.48" and you are building a 385. Take a look at Moroso 20196, it will clear up to 4.25" stroke. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR%2D20196&N=700+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
648 Posts
Does that 3.48" stroke come into play on my 400sb? Im fairly green on terms of the inside of the great almighty sb.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I just looked up the stroke on a 400 its 3.75". For some reason I dont think a 20191 pan is going to work?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,457 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
I knew the 20190 pan which is the same pan without the tray and scrapers fit a 400 as Sean (68rs406) has one on his engine. He thought the 20191 should work so its great to hear that it works for mgt99. Regular pan gasket or the slightly thicker one piece on your engine mgt99?

·
10,157 Posts
I don't know what you will do with your Camaro but, for those who will autocross or open track their cars, please consider restricting the oil flow to the rockers if you use roller rockers. Oil tends to collect in the valve covers and this get's worse if there is any extra oil flow, like hydraulic lifters.

I don't know what restricting oil to hydraulic lifters would do, probably not a good idea, but for solid lifter engines, it's a good way of keeping more oil in the pan. I used the old style GM "edge orifice" type solid lifters 5231585 with good results. They reduce total oil flow by 10% - 20%, and I had stock type rocker arms. These lifters have no snap ring and no "piddle valve" according to the GM power manual.

The other type of restrictor threads into the oil galley in the rear of the block. I use those in my Lola vintage racer.
David

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have two more questions on this:

1. are both the CV and Moroso pans 7 qt pan 8 qt pan and filter capacity?

2. does anyone have a link for more info on the oil restrictor, I am running a solid cam?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
does anyone know the capacity of either pain with or without the filter?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The 20191 works with 383's no problem. It is made to clear 3.75" stroke and is a great pan. I ran one for years. As far as the 20196 goes that is way too much pan for your application. I run that on my 427 with 4.0" stroke and still have plenty of room to spare. Truth is I wish I could still run the 20191 with it's wind screen and side scraper.:(

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
does anyone know the capacity of either pain with or without the filter?
@7-7.5 quarts with spin on filter
I run an external filter and cooler on the 427 so I have 8-9 quarts in the system now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts