Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a silly and broad question....

has anyone experienced a really bad rattle sound from the right rear of their 67?

I have been underneath the car and everything is bolted strong. I’ve looked in the trunk. Same thing.
I have no idea.

I do think the rattle is louder when the gas tank is full. But the rattle is still there even when close to empty.

Any suggestions on how to identify?
I’m certain it’s right side, somewhere behind the passenger seat.

the car has headers.
big block 396

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Exhaust contacting somewhere slightly?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You know, bad shock or upper shock mount could be. I do think the sound comes from near the back right wheel well.
How do I check that? I'm not familiar with working with shocks --- yet. But I am not afraid to put the car on jack stands and investigate.

As for exhaust, I've checked it over and over again, and there is 1 spot that may be contacting, but I don't think that's the issue. I'll take a photo of that and share it soon.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
You know, bad shock or upper shock mount could be. I do think the sound comes from near the back right wheel well.
How do I check that? I'm not familiar with working with shocks --- yet. But I am not afraid to put the car on jack stands and investigate.

As for exhaust, I've checked it over and over again, and there is 1 spot that may be contacting, but I don't think that's the issue. I'll take a photo of that and share it soon.
you can first look in the trunk where the shock mounts, make sure it’s in good shape around the mount not rusted and the nut is there and tight. Then get under the car and check the same area and grab hold of the shock and give it a good shack to see if it’s broke or moving around.
dod you check the front leaf spring pockets and make sure the bolts are tight.

could be something the fell down the trunk drop offs ?

·
Premium Member
4,044 Posts
If it is a shock problem and you jack it up, it may tighten up enough for it to not rattle. I would investigate with it sitting on the ground first

Reactions: Steve in CA

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Steve,
I had a rattle in the back only it was on the left side and was less noticeable once the car warmed up. Turned out to be an exhaust clamp contacting the frame near the gas tank. once that was repositioned there were no more noises.

Best regards,

Hank

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
All good comments made...I will add, check lug nuts are tight on right (and other tires also) rear tire

Steve, if you jack the car up put on jackstands under the rear end (close to tire side) so the suspension stays "loaded" and look at the shock (read grab & shake) and the top shock mount position in the trunk you can determine if the shock or its upper or lower mounting points are stable

Also the tail pipe that, if you have tips that dump behind tires vs pee shooters out back of car, to see if the tips are contacting the rear 1/4 panel. Clamped tail pipes can shift causing that contact between leaf & 1/4 panel

If you find nothing doing that, with car still on jack stands start car and put in gear to see if the sound is coming from your brake/wheel bearing area with the rear wheels turning (while off the ground)

·
Registered
Mike
553 Posts
Do you have a spare tire and bumper jack in the truck?

Sometimes the components that keep the spare tire and jack in place may loosen up and cause a rattle.
Some cloth... or other types of "buffering" material between the jack and the trunk can also help to eliminate rattles.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Muffler core broken loose inside the casing.

Reactions: bill3337

·
Registered
102 Posts
My right rear rattle is the tail pipe. It is a 2 1/2 inch and the clearance is really tight. I know what it is and don't worry about it. Still sounds good.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are two videos where the camera happened to be on and you can hear the rattle.

NOTE - the rattle sound is 5X louder (no exaggeration) than it sounds on the video. iPhones are very good at filtering out background noise now.

Please let me know what that sounds like.
I'll have time today and tomorrow to investigate.

At faster speeds, the engine noise muffles out the rattle. I hear it most between 0 and 15 mph.

video 1:

video 2:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They're still uploading... the first one is viewable now. Second one should be viewable in 3 minutes.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
It seems to have a "hollow" kind of sound. I wonder if an internal part of a muffler has rusted loose? Maybe check the muffler giving it a couple good wacks with a rubber mallet.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
If an internal part of the muffler is loose, how can I tell and what can I do to fix it?
That is what I think. Replace the mufflers or muffler and quiet again. Dealt with it long ago.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I cut up my old turbo muffler to see how it was designed inside, you can see how it's possible for a big chunk of metal to break loose.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts