Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a factory am radio - anyone have a clue how you hook it up, what wires go where - pictures are worth a thousand words - any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
717 Posts
Jason what wires/colors do you have coming out of the back of that radio? do you have the factory plug/clip with the radio or under the dash? There should be one wire for ground one for power and two or four wires for the speakers. I will look in my assembly manual tomorrow and look it up. I got my factory AM radio's guts converted to digital by a radio tech and now it has FM/AM and built in amp with an IPod hookup but you would never be able to tell by looking at it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Jason what wires/colors do you have coming out of the back of that radio? do you have the factory plug/clip with the radio or under the dash? There should be one wire for ground one for power and two or four wires for the speakers. I will look in my assembly manual tomorrow and look it up. I got my factory AM radio's guts converted to digital by a radio tech and now it has FM/AM and built in amp with an IPod hookup but you would never be able to tell by looking at it.
Would like to see a picture of your radio. That sounds really cool. What did it cost for that conversion?
-Doug

·
Registered
717 Posts
I had a local guy do my radio, I picked up one of his cards at the muscle car parts stores, he charged me around $450-$500 it was a few years ago and that was with the radio and knobs included. Now that the conversion has been around for awhile it looks like the big parts companies are getting in on it and you can now get a really nice one from Ricks first gen (click on the link below). It has all the bells and whistles. A little pricey but you only have to buy it once and it will keep the interior all stock with a kick *** stereo sound. I will be using my cell phone with songs uploaded to it and just plug it into my radio and I will be rockin down the highway. If you choose to get the one from ricks I'm sure you could get at least $100 and up for you radio on ebay depending on condition.

http://www.rickscamaros.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=CAE%2D850&dept%5Fid=3104

Here is a pic of mine
[URL="
[/URL]

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Johnny67
i have no wires hanging out the back and no factory clip either. the car was rewired with autowire classic update harness so I have the typical power wires for a new stereo

·
Registered
717 Posts
Johnny67
i have no wires hanging out the back and no factory clip either. the car was rewired with autowire classic update harness so I have the typical power wires for a new stereo

Jason here is a plug that is for sale on ebay right now. It has the yellow wire for power and the other two are for a speaker. For a ground wire you can just attatch a wire to the metal body of the radio and the other end to the metal frame of your dash. That should get it working.

Was there a guarantee that this radio works? Where did you buy it? has it been refurbished or is it original and never been touched in 40 years. Just wondering.:beers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-68-CAMARO-CHEVELLE-NOVA-FACTORY-RADIO-HARNESS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem290298226203QQitemZ290298226203QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ebayphotohosting

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jason here is a plug that is for sale on ebay right now. It has the yellow wire for power and the other two are for a speaker. For a ground wire you can just attatch a wire to the metal body of the radio and the other end to the metal frame of your dash. That should get it working.

Was there a guarantee that this radio works? Where did you buy it? has it been refurbished or is it original and never been touched in 40 years. Just wondering.:beers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-68-CAMARO-CHEVELLE-NOVA-FACTORY-RADIO-HARNESS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem290298226203QQitemZ290298226203QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ebayphotohosting
I bought it from the team camaro classifieds, the guy said it works, it is in excellent condition never been refurbished

·
Registered
717 Posts
johnny 67
witch side is the power.
jason, if you buy the plug I am sure that it only goes in one way, so the yellow wire is the power. Otherwise you could take Roger's advice. You could also hook up the ground to the radio and get a power wire and touch it to the different tabs until the radio lights up. Make sure the radio is turned on and if the wire touches the body of the radio you will probably blow a fuse in the fuse box, but that ain't a big deal. I'm sure there is a more proper way of doing it but the best way would be to have the factory plug.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok I found that the power goes to the left the next prong is spk and the last is gnd. I hooked up 12v to the left speakers to the next two and ground the radio case. the light comes on but no noise from the speakers. Am I missing something, I have seen notes from others that the older systems had positive to the speakers and ground to the chasis. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
ok I found that the power goes to the left the next prong is spk and the last is gnd. I hooked up 12v to the left speakers to the next two and ground the radio case. the light comes on but no noise from the speakers. Am I missing something, I have seen notes from others that the older systems had positive to the speakers and ground to the chasis. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
If I read what you typed correctly, that should work. The radio case and one side of the speaker should be grounded. You should at least get some crackle without an antenna. These radios were less than reliable. The germanium output transistor was the biggest weakness.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I read what you typed correctly, that should work. The radio case and one side of the speaker should be grounded. You should at least get some crackle without an antenna. These radios were less than reliable. The germanium output transistor was the biggest weakness.
i when i touch the case with the ground wire the speaker makes a thump noise. I expected it to make static noise like it was not on a station. should it make an out of tune static noise or dead silence when not fixed on a station

·
Registered
717 Posts
a thump noise just means the speaker is in working condition.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've gotten two through John. Does excellent work and your radio, including the case comes back new. I know for a fact that he usually has Camaro stereos in stock and ready to go. No need to even send him a core. I've paid $259 each time. Contact him for pricing. http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kave/index.html
I took this advice and purchase a radio from John. He was very professional and I sent he check (2)day mail and he did the same with the radio. we will see tomorrow how easy the install is but the radio looks fabulous

I still have my old one and still want to verify that it does or does not work, any help.

thanks

·
Premium Member
19,656 Posts
The center (speaker) wire and the Ground wire should go directly to the speaker. That center ground wire comeing from the radio should not be grounded to the chassie. The other wire should be the 12 volt power.

Roger

1 - 20 of 20 Posts