Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I put my new motor in my tach does not work. I have MSD 6AL with tach output. Car starts and runs perfect and the tach wire is connted to the same place it was before.

How can I test the tach signal? The only other crital is making sure the tach gauge is grounded right?

If I pull the gauges out I want to be able to properly troubleshoot before ordering any new parts.

·
Super Moderator
32,447 Posts
Was the MSD box with the old engine?
If MSD came with new engine, the OE tach will need an additional filter, I believe.
Of course, only after you check to make sure the tach is grounded correctly.

You could always remove the MSD box and check tach in the original circuit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The MSD was in the car before. Just looking for what wires are required to make the tach work and how to test the tach signal. If I connect a volt meter and run the engine, what should I see etc.

I belive the tach signal and a ground is all you need. If my tach signal is good, then I will pull the guages and verify ground and tach signal to the guage. Then a new guage if all connections are good no RPM.

How do you test a tach signal.

Thanks

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,447 Posts
An oscilloscope would be the best test equipment to use to check a tach signal because its going to be pulsed.

If you have a good DMM, you could use it in AC and view the analog scale at the bottom of the display for the bars running, maybe during starting.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did connect my DMM and observed 2.xx? volts DC - can't remember exactly. I may be working and I think I will pull the gauges and check for connections and ground Etc.

Thanks to all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts