Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing a factory style tach (OER) for my 69 and was wondering if the MSD billet dist, and 6AL ignition will work together with the OER tach?
Thanks, Guy

[This message has been edited by gjohnson (edited 11-16-2002).]

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 68 with a ttt. I have tried everyting I can think of and some that other people have suggested. I have sent my 6al back for testing, Msd tells me that the fastons are crimped and therefore lose and were causing my problems. They are actually soldered on. :confused: Then they suggested their filter. $50. later, it still won't work. :mad: I made up a tach filter, that helped somewhat but still the tach is a pretty bauble.. of no real use. I added about 10 new grounds from the engine to everywhere, from the battery to everywhere, from the msd to everywhere, from the dash to everywhere.

If you do get it to work, I sure would appriciate knowning how it is done.

Dan

·
Registered
318 Posts
is yours OER or OEM...mine is date 68 on the back..so.....

thanks for the reply. ricks first gen said NO msd will work with the tic toc tach.... at least not an OEM which is what i have.... SOOOO, first things first..i am going to try to con my old professor into giving me some lab time with the function generator and the oscilloscope..

i will have to find out what input is needed to make the TTT work and work correctly from what the MSD tach ouput is doing.... MSD support wants to point away from there product..i have a feeling i am going to have to go above a few heads before i get anywhere with there support.

i am not giving up..but it may take some time..i will post the more i know...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine is also a 68 oem tach. I hope you can shed some lite on where the problem lies.

Dan

·
Registered
318 Posts
well i just got an email from ricks sales department..evidently the OER's will work with the 8920 tach adapter..i am going to follow that up with there tech support...

upon disassembly of my original tach..the clock is fubar'd and the cermic circuit board for the tach is cracked in half...not sure how or why that happened ..but it did.....

so now, i am looking at aftermark TTT until i can find someone to service my clock AND tach.... .i also believe my speedo needs rebuilt........

does it ever end??

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
The factory tach will work fine with the MSD 6AL but you may need a resistor in the line providing power to the MSD. If you call MSD they will send you one for free. The way to tell you need the resistor is the tach will appear to read fine at idle but will jump all over once you raise the RPM. I know all this from first hand experience and after 3 years it is still working flawlessly!

·
Registered
69 Posts
YEAH,

Thats what I got... you just got to wonder why msd would't tell me that after all the crap I went through, all the phone calls, etc :mad: I will phone them tommorow AGAIN and see if they can enlighten me...If possible could you post the size of the resister needed?

thanks

d

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Hey 383...I forget what size it is. If you call MSD they will either tell you the size or just send you one for free. I got mine about 3 days after I called them. I've since gotten one for a buddy with the same problem and had it in 2 days.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Actually I phoned two times today and they were busy both times. I will try again tommorow..I guess there is no real hurry as we are parked for the winter. I did look on their site and found a capacitor that is used to prevent static feedback that disturbs tachs and radios.. Is that perhaps what you have, Barefoot.

I hope this works as I have been working on this on and off for 3 years...numerous phone calls to msd, installed a complete new wireing harness on their suggestion, however I probably needed on anyway).

Thanks for the help, I will report back with what happens when I get my car back togeather.. This winter is new interior and paint..YaHOoo

d

·
Registered
69 Posts
I did get to talk to Luke at MSD today, he was great, he listened to my story, suggested trying either the resistor or the capacitor. When I offered to pay he turned me down and told me he would send me one of both, no charge.

NOW thats what I call customer support, no stupid suggestions or deflection, it realy seems like MSD cares about my problem.

I should get my car back together enough to run by the end of Jan. I will report back then.

Thanks Dave and others

d

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Since everyone seems to have experience with msd's and tachs. I have a similar question my tach (oem 69z28) reads about 300-350rpm high across the board. I can't get a straight answer as to if it needs to be recalibrated or if I need a tach adapter. It is consistantly high and has been verified by my hand held tune up tachometer. any ideas. all wiring and grounds are good. I just can't see spending 50 bucks on msd's adapter if I'm not sure it will work.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Dave69Z:

If you are running an MSD box or distributor you need to do exactly what is talked about above. Call MSD and they will send you the resistor and/or capacitor and you can see which works for you. Both times I did it the resistor worked. I know of no one that has had to buy the MSD adapter for a first gen tach issue.

The tach hanging or jumping around a constant low RPM (600 in my case)was exactly what I saw on the first one I did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts