Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a factory tach dash in my 67 camaro. my question is how can I get this working with an HEI ignition? is there a different harness I need to buy?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
my harness is one for factory gauges.i had a brown wire that went to the coil for the tach.i put a female spade end on it & ran it up to my hei cap & hooked it to the tach terminal on cap.i have a factory aftermarket oer tach & its right with my timming light tach readings.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my harness is one for factory gauges.i had a brown wire that went to the coil for the tach.i put a female spade end on it & ran it up to my hei cap & hooked it to the tach terminal on cap.i have a factory aftermarket oer tach & its right with my timming light tach readings.

I will have to see if I can find any extra wires up in my dash

Thanks

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
If your car came w/ the factory gauges and tach, you won't find any "extra" wires. The brown wire is in a harness. It runs from the multi wire plug in the back of the instrument cluster to the fuse block. In the engine bay, the brown wire runs in a harness from the fuse block over to the coil.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your car came w/ the factory gauges and tach, you won't find any "extra" wires. The brown wire is in a harness. It runs from the multi wire plug in the back of the instrument cluster to the fuse block. In the engine bay, the brown wire runs in a harness from the fuse block over to the coil.

Thanks I will look and see if I can find that wire. My car did not come with a factory tach. What is the wire on the back of the tach for??

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
On '68s, the wire powers the clock. The tach gets it's signal from the harness and through the circuit board. '67s are pretty much the same thing...

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah its a 67, I thought maybe it was a power wire? It must be a ground wire then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts