Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to taking the camaro in.

Of course it failed (CO) 7.14% standard is 5.00%. So I came home changed the oil, retarded the timing a lot, turned my mixture screws in almost all the way, runs like crap.

My carb is already jetted as low as I can go. The engine and all components are all new. Am I forgetting anything thanx, Sean.

[This message has been edited by SAyers69 (edited 09-12-2000).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to hear. I've heard a new air filter helps some. Plugs/wires/cap/rotar maybe too??
Good Luck going again

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU and maybe a camaro one day...
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

·
Registered
63 Posts
oooh that sucks..around here we have old people who liked it when my dad&mom went in for emmissions for our 70 chevelle and they kept talkiing about the car and my mom got fed up. She said they would let it pass if it had 4 wheels cuz they liked the car so much

Rob

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guess what? Just got back from my second trip to emissions, after all the above mods my car is officially the cleanest running car in AZ.

First results HC 415 ppm CO 7.15%
Second results HC 75 ppm CO 0.10%

What in the hell happened?

Thanx for all you words of encouragement!!!

Sean

·
10,144 Posts
It looks like your mixture was too rich.
You had high HC which is unburned fuel, AND high CO which is burned fuel.

Usually you can lean it down more and more and get lower and lower CO and HC, until you get a miss, then the HC starts to go up because of the unburned fuel of the missing cylinders.
David

·
Registered
246 Posts
Now that you have the cleanest engine in your area, emissions wise, just think about how peachy-fine happy you have made Ol' Al Gore today. Today, lower emissions on all those bad old cars, tomorrow, crushing them, what a country, what an Al (bogus Al).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, I have to admit when I read that thread on team Chevelle I wanted to go out and hunt down Mr Gore and strap him to the hood for a little ride.

But in all honesty I feel pretty good saying that I have joined the other numerous car owners that must de-tune their car to a point of hardly running to please the environmentalists.

Then the other 364 days of the year I can just go right on polluting, after all isnt that the american way!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Al Gore can suck on the twin 3.5" pipes on my L88> come and get me Secret Service!!!!

Good tuning job Mr. Ayers. By the way, what is the cutoff year in AZ??Email me if youd like. Thnx.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm sorry to be such a dolt, but you mean my 67 gets the sniffer??

DAMN

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Bend over! Just kidding, I had to take my 68 SS396 through a few years ago and it took my cousin and I about 45 minutes of adjustments to get it to pass here in NJ. It wouldn't run with those adjustments, but it passed. It kept stalling all the way home and the starter was too hot to crank it so I had to keep bump starting it at every traffic light. Man, these cars are fun aren't they! I'm getting spoiled with my supercharged 93 with fuel injection. Smooth as glass and low emissions with 450 hp. At least I'll have some fun trying to dial in my crossram setup!

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram

·
Registered
567 Posts
I love this country! People save some great cars from the scrape heap. Put time, money, sweat and tears into it, then have to jump through hoops just to keep it registered. Meanwhile, ma and pa keetle drive their puffing Volvo diesel all over hell and back! go figure. I am so glad we don't have testing here.

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials

·
Registered
496 Posts
Move to Idaho. No emissions testing here!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here in California, we'll all get the sniffer real soon if the Cal-EPA and CARB gets their way. They are rattling their sabres about just that.

They have a sliding scale testing program in development that will eventually get all cars over 5 years off the roads here. Even as lowly a vehicle as a stock Model T.

These people are so anal about it, they want to crush even museum vehicles, so there isn't a rat's chance in Pomona they will ever run again. If Gore gets elected, they can and will do a lot of damage to our sport and will destroy as many of those old cars as they can before the public gets tired of it and eventually puts up a bitch, to stop it.

Time for all of us to act, no matter where we live, is right now. Let your legislator know that our cars aren't everyday drivers, and the amount we use our cars doesn't contribute a problem twords massive pollution like new cars idling for an hour in rush-hour traffic for a simple seven to ten minute work commute twice a day. If that person who "represents" you doesn't agree, replace them now, before your real interests and wants, hobbies are eliminated by their "we have to have it this way" bull goes any further.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
In Alaska, no test on 67s and 68s thru 73 only get a sniff.

I dont know about all the other states, but here we can get an emissions waiver. The only catch to it is the car cant be driven on the streets from Nov. to Mar., but then who is going to drive there classic cars on the streets of this place during those months.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just a bit on my experience.

Took my '69 Z to be emissions tested. CO, CO2, NOx were OK, but the HC was off the chart (1800ppm). I knew the car wasn't running right - it pinged and ran real rough. I checked the timing and it seemed OK (10 deg btdc). Took it back, same thing. I jetted it down, but something was still not right. I took it in again, anyway and -- same thing. I finally decided to check my timing mark on the harmonic balancer - I found that the prior owner had made his own mark, which I was trying time from. I found the original mark and checked the rotor -- sure enough -- off one tooth. Set it right, set the timing at 10 deg BTDC -- she flew by with flying colors (HC 70 ppm, CO 0.90%)

The moral -- high HC may be way fast timing.

------------------
69 Z/28 X77, Fathom Green, 34,000 Original Miles
69 SS 350, Lemans Blue, 350/300, TH350, 5 X 34,000 original miles :)
(bought it when I was 15)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Don't move to ADA county in Idaho. They do emmission test!
My 70 Z/28 would not pass until I put in an Petronix ignitor and a hot coil.

------------------
68 RS red w/ white stripes
67 SS/RS restoring

1 - 20 of 22 Posts