Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 Camaro with a 400HP 350 that needs a cooling system upgrade to eliminate high temps. I want to try some simple things first. I do have a high volume water pump and a 185 thermostat.
I have read some articles that say to place the fan between 3/4 and 1" from the radiator, and I have read to place the fan 1/2in and 1/2 out of the shroud. Both are not possible with what I have. If I place it 1/2 and 1/2 it will be several inches from the radiator. The engine is from 1972 so I am not sure if the shroud is correct. Does anybody know the front to rear dimensions on a 68 or 69 shroud? I am planning on installing a new clutch fan, but I want to make sure to get the right amount of spacer.
Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Forget about any dimension from the fan to the radiator (that's for electric fans); what matters with a stock-type setup is that the fan blades are half-in/half-out at the rear edge of the shroud to create maximum air velocity at idle. Also, make sure your radiator is sealed to the support, and the shroud is sealed to the radiator (sticky-back foam seals available at Lowe's, etc.).

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.