Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON WHAT DIFFERENCES BESIDES PRICE BETWEEN A FAST RATION STEERING BOX AND A RACK AND PINION SETUP? HANDLING,FEEL,ETC... THANKS IN ADVANCE!

·
Registered
77 Posts
The rack and pinion set up can be a fairly extensive modification, from you steering column on down. Special mounts need to be installed, and possibly the whole assembly will have to be changed out, including tie rod ends. I've never done this, but I would think that a faster box would be a much easier conversion. The trade off is feel though. A steering rack is a much more precise mechanism, because it is more directly connected to your suspension, thus better road feel. But is it worth it? I would only go that far if I was trying to make my car really handle, and that only after doing extensive other mods to the suspension, both front and rear.
I'm sure that there are conversion kits available that supply you with all you need.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
rack and pinion drops some weight from the car, but you can also find fast ratio, lightweight, steering boxes like those from Flaming River. They have one box that is something like 7 pounds! Of course, that isn't power assisted.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The big weight savings numbers you see for the rack & pinion kits are for manual racks. You lose a lot of the savings when you add the power steering pump.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/16/01 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was going to go with the steeroids set up until I found out that it hangs down about an inch and a half below the frame. My car is lowered two inches so I don't think that would work too well. I will probably go with the AGR fast ratio box instead. John

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the steeroids on my 67. I belive racks to be much more responsive then boxes, it was easy to install. a few bolts and the old box and linkageg comes out, the hardest part is taking the old lower Arm bolts out and sliding the new longer bolts in. not bad, just thats the hardest part. I like mine. my car is lowerd 1 inch and I dont recall ever hitting anything. it was worth it to me. there really is No modification to the car, just direct replacement easy fit parts. the universal shaft bolts right up to the steering colum just like the stering box. and is much more attractive looking then a box with a bunch of linkage.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Art Rassmussen commented on this about 2 years ago, (before his death) and he thought a new front end rebuild and new faster ratio box would be wiser money spent. I have the AGR unit in my 69. The 12 to 1 was to touchy for me on the street - so they changed it to a 16 to 1 variable at no cost. This setup seems to work real nice. I can't say enough about the good service from the boys at AGR.

------------------
69 Camaro - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
TJS is right - the 12:1 AGR box is very touchy. Add a Hotchkis swaybar, Koni adjustable shocks, stiff springs and low profile Z rated tires, and I doubt that the rack and pinion has much over an AGR box. My car has all of the above mods and its like driving a new Corvette.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
What do you mean by touchy? I was considering the AGR 12:1 box. Do you believe it to be too much? Dangerous for the street perhaps?

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
By the term "touchy" I mean very quick to any small input. Just a quick flip of the wrist and you are in the ditch. Dangerous ? Maybe . Remember the AGR 12:1 unit is referred to as a RACING box. I would call them and I am sure they will set you up with a good ratio for your application.

------------------
69 Camaro - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
thanks for the input. When I am ready for a box, I will give them a call.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I agreee with TJS's definition of touchy - VERY responsive. Like I said, similar to a late model Corvette.

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts