Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a power steering box off of a 84 Trans am part #7626692. I had a box off of a 81 second generation TA, with the same part number I am looking for a fast ratio box and I was told that the 81 box is only a 14-1 ratio. I have a car craft issue that lists part numbers of the boxes and it shows that these 84 TAs had fast ratio boxes but my box number dosent match up to theirs. Is my new box a fast ratio or does anybody have any more information on any of this?????

·
10,164 Posts
The numbers cast into the box are just casting numbers and don't relate to application or the gear ratios inside the box.
I have about 4 articles on PS and there aren't any numbers matching your 7626692.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the number i got was on the top part of the box sort of in the middle most of the other boxes i saw had the same number in it. Do you think that this box is a fast ratio since it was out of a trans am and it had big front and rear sway bars and a high output pump.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cody, I don't know anything about the actual ratios but I do know I took a box off an 80 Z28 and it only turns two and a quarter turns from lock to lock. My 67 box was just over four turns from lock to lock. Its a big difference. Why don't you just turn both boxes from lock to lock and see if the new box is faster. That Trans Am box is probably less than two turns. If its faster, use it. The whole swap only takes about a half an hour.

·
10,164 Posts
The box you have is probably not a 12 to 1 but should be fast enough. Give it a try.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually do think that the box off the 84 is a fast ratio and i'm goingto use it THANX

1 - 6 of 6 Posts