Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an electrical issue with my 1998 v6 camaro. After installing my own radio, a connector became un loosened and some how grounded itself to another radio wire. Now I believe that I have a short or bad wire which is causing my headlight switch to constantly go out. I have replaced the switch two times already in the course of a week. I used a circuit tester to see which wire is bad. The bad wire is one of the two red wires that connects to the actual headlight switch and also a very light brown wire that also connects to the headlight switch. My question is, what are my options from here? Do I have to follow this one red wire amongst miles of other wires or is there some type of short cut. Can I possibly do something with splice a good wire into the terminal of the bad one? I just want to be able to drive at night so it doesn't have to be pretty. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I guess you did not disconnect the battery during you Radio installation but it seems rather strange that a wire if shorted with 12 volts would have created enough to melt the insulation and cause a additional short without blowing a fuse. Let me think. The head light circuit should be independent of the key switch and a low amp circuit which should be fused passes through the dimmer switch which in turn controls the High Amperage Relay for your Head Lights. I suspecting that the problem may not be the dimmer switch but rather the Head Light Relay or possibly a bad ground at the relay or after your head Pods. The head light Relay itself may be at fault. Just thinking out loud - it's worth a take.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot for the reply, initially I thought that the problem was a headlight relay until I called gm a few days ago to see if they had it in stock and they told me that there was no headlight relay, only a fog lights relay. I failed to mention that I did blow the radio fuse, not the one that is already attached to the radio but the one that is actually connected to the car. Im not sure if this changes your outlook at all but I will be sure to look into what you have suggested. Once again, thanks alot for replying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts