Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be considering a job move from Nashville, TN to Sacramento, CA. Any input on car scene in that general area, weather, taxes, cost of living, etc...would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I lived in that area for about 15 years. I personally really like some areas outside of Sacramento. It is still one of the more affordable areas of California that also has a good economy. Thought it being within two hours of the Bay area has caused home prices to increase at a faster rate than many/most of the other areas of the state. But it's no where near the price of San francisco or LA.

I like the areas east of Sacramento. Rocklin, Loomis, Folsom, etc. Pretty good car scene in the area too. Lots of recyclers around, supermusclecar parts is around, some local cruise nights. You are also about 3 hour drive from Reno for hot august nights or street vibrations (if into bikes). In sac you are 2 hous from the ocean and 2 hours from a ski lift, plenty of lakes and rivers to water ski or fish at.

Weather is pretty good too. Summers are hot! Usually at least one heat spell each summer that hit's 100+ for 7-10 days. Otherwise summers mostly high 80's to mid 90's. Winters rarely get down to freezing temps but it gets pretty cool.

Well there are some things off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Sacramento is a great place to live. I would up the ante on summer heat by about 10 degrees though. Usually 7-10 day spell of 110+ and then mostly 90 to 100 degree days. It's nice dry heat though so it isn't like 110 degrees in Nashville. Housing is affordable by California standards. An average 3 bedroom 2 bath house will run around $400K or so. It's centrally located about two hours from either San Francisco or Reno so there is plenty to do.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Lived there while I attended school years ago. Yes, some real nice areas to live. Lots to do and a good central location to the mountains and SF bay area. The thing that will stand out for you might be the traffic problem and smog. Both are pretty congested and you have to live with them becuase they will only get worse (more houses and commuters).

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'll have to agree with Scott on the temp in Sacramento - gets real hot during the summer but as mentioned, its a dry heat and very livable. If your into sports and good weather, its a good place to be. Snow skiing and hiking at Lake Tahoe is abosolutely beautiful (a must visit) and its not far away from Sac. ALso, lots of boating/skiing/fishing in the area.

Calif state taxes ~ 8% (depends on County)
Annual Property Taxes ~ 1.2% of home purchase price
The good news is that housing in Sacramento is fairly reasonable for CA. standards. I live in Santa Rosa (1hr north of Golden Gate bridge - 2hrs from Sac) and an avg 3 bed 2 ba. house is > $600k - ouch!

Finally, many sunny days to drive your car!

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Chris:
There are quite a few T.C. members in the Sac. area - hopefully they will see this post soon and chime-in with feedback.

I'm about an hour west of there in a valley between the Bay area and Sac.
I drive there to visit relatives and through there to the mountains very often. It is a good place to live in CA. The home prices are very resonable, the cost of living is fairly low (for Calif.) and there is a good car scene as stated before.
My son just accepted a position as the Youth Activities Director for the town of Cameron Park, just east of Sac. near Folsom (where a good friend is a prision guard ... ) off Highway 50 and we are going house hunting with he and his wife next weekend. If you want me to forward any info we find to you just let me know.
I would also consider the areas just south of the city - that area has been growing steadily for the last 10~12 years and there are lots of nice homes down that way.

Here is a link to the major newspaper in the area, the "Sacramento Bee" or 'Sac Bee' to locals :D - http://www.sacbee.com/
You should be able to get a feel for the home prices in the local areas from the classifieds.

Are you sure you want leave TN ???
My sister and bro-in-law live in Franklin and just love the place. She was raised in the LA area and wouldn't move back to CA for nothing ...

Looking forward to bumping into you at the local shows :thumbsup:
John M.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've lived in Roseville (16 miles NE of Sacramento) for the last 8 years - moved here from Georgia. I see you're in TN, I'm a native Californiain and was more than happy to come back. Expect a large culture shock from the South. The areas to live (IMHO) are North and East of Sacramento. South and West seem to have more crime issues. The weather: count on hot during the summer (100-110) with very little humidity so it's not bad, and around 40 in the winter - though it has snowed here and sometimes will get into the 20s for a day or two. Housing prices will most likely be a shock for you. Expect at least 300K for a 3bd/2ba home on a small lot. As others have stated, there's a lot to do here. If you'd like some details, send me an email.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm reading all of these very closely so...keep'm coming!

Vintage 68 - I live in Brentwood, TN. Been here going on 9 years. I'm a little learly about CA due to a brief stint working in Rancho Mirage (Palm Springs area) in July-September in 2004. Housing costs, utilities and temps were unbearable...so I came back. Sacramento seems to be an entirely different beast however, and the job opportunity that is shaping up may be extremely good. If there's one part of CA left that has the climate and costs I can afford it may be Sacramento. Any housing info you can forward would be great!

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I have lived in the Sac area my whole life. Born in Sac, grew up in West Sac. Lived in Davis(about 10 miles west of Sac) and now live in Woodland(about 20 miles northwest of Sac). I personally like the location and traffic of Woodland. If I want to fly out of Sac airport I am 20 minutes from there. That is closer than most of Sac. I am closer to the San Francisco area and can be in Sacramento in a half hour. It gets hot here in the summer but no humidity like I have experienced on Power Tour in the South. Winters might get you a 1/4" of snow maybe every 3 years. But you can drive east and be in 10' deep snow in about 2 hours. You can be at the ocean in 1 1/2 hours. A friend just bought a new house here for I think 325K, marked down from 400K. Camcojb also is in the Sac area. Come on out, not a bad place to live.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Sacramento was my last duty station before I retired from the Marines. I liked it so much I decided to stay. It is hot here in the summer but it's not the same kind of hot like in the south. I'm originally from South Texas so I'm sure there isn't much difference between there and Nashville (humidity). My wife is a Realtor here as well so if you need housing info pm me and I'll see if she can give you some information.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Is there any chance you could come out and visit before you make the move? If so that is the best possible thing to do/ I am a California native, born and raised in the Bay Area and I am not about 30 minutes west of Sacramento (in Vacaville) been here for 14 years. The Sacramento sales tax is 7.75% if I remember right. As mentioned the summers are warm (anywhere in this general area). The car scene is very good in all the local areas, from the bay area all the way up to Reno. There is a drag strip in Sacramento as well (1/4 mile). Housing prices right now have dropped a bit and there are some real good deals out there. The prices will be going up again you can bet on that. If you want more slow paced Winters or Woodland would be good places to look depending on what part of Sac you would be working in.

It does cost more to live here but, you do get to drive your car year round, play sports outdoors year round, etc...

Good luck either way you go.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
camaroman7d and others: I am fortunate in that my potential employer is flying me and my fiance out a week from today (Thursday, March 29th), I will interview on Friday and we have all of Saturday and Sunday to explore and learn about the area before we fly back on Monday morning. Anyone want to meet up?
I am wondering about vehical taxes and emissions. Are cars taxed like property? If I've read recent posts correctly my 1969 would NOT be subject to any emissions inspections. But what is the yearly cost to register this car? Is it based on appraised value? Of course my 2006 truck would go through emissions but what about yearly registration fees/taxes on it? Also based on value?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
I am wondering about vehical taxes and emissions. Are cars taxed like property? If I've read recent posts correctly my 1969 would NOT be subject to any emissions inspections. But what is the yearly cost to register this car? Is it based on appraised value? Of course my 2006 truck would go through emissions but what about yearly registration fees/taxes on it? Also based on value?
The license fees vary greatly by the type, use and age of a vehicle. I pay anywhere from $36 to $400 for our vehicles.
My 1977 4X4 truck runs @$200 a year just because of it's GVW ...
Here is a link to the CA DMV site with fee structures - http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/car-registration.php
Here is a link to the fee calculator for a you vehicles - fill in the info and it will give you an estimate - https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/newResidentForm.do

Your '69 will not require a smog inspection for registration, your truck will. I assume it's a gas fueled vehicle. If it is a deseil then it will not require the every-other year inspection.

I may be moving my oldest daughter down to LA that weekend - still waiting for her to finalize her schedule.
If not, I would be open to a meet-up in the area.
To bad you can't make it this weekend, the 'Goodguys' show is Sat & Sun :cool:
The only thing happening that weekend is the Compact Drags at Sac. Raceway :sad:
Oh - they grow Alot of Rice in the Sac area - really ...

Hope this helps some;
John (another California Native :D )

·
Registered
154 Posts
One thing that sucks about California, is the user fees for just about everything. Fee to enter Folsom Lake, fee to enter the American river parkway, license fee for dogs and cats, fee to smog your vehicle, fee to register your vehicle.

Don't get me wrong I love it here and don't plan on moving anytime soon. I live in Orangevale which is a suburb of Sacramento on the east side towards Folsom but more of a rural feel to it that Folsom. Everyone seem to be moving into East Roseville, Rocklin or Folsom and if your real wealthy then Serrano in El Dorado Hills. Elk Grove it seems is on the decline turning into a total renter area.

A decent 3 bedroom 2 bathroom home ~ 1600 square feet on a .18 acre lot will go from 350K to 430K. The major difference will be the location. When you get into the newer homes the price is in the 500 up range.

Who you gonna work for?

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I am supposed to work that weekend but, I did take the 31st off. If that works for you guys let me know I be sure to make it out for a visit. If we can figure out a day maybe we can meet for lunch or dinner with a few of the local TC'ers. You will not want to sit around to much, you will need to get out and look at the general area. Depending on where you work (what area), that will steer you in the right direction to look at housing. It will also depend on how long/far you are willing to drive. Like I said I live in Vacaville (west of Sac) and I used to commute to Sacramento, it's not a bad commute. My wife still works in Sacramento and it takes her 30 minutes door to door. Now if you move south of Sacramento the commute will not be nice at all. Once you know the area the office/job is located you should post the area, that will narrow down the areas you will be looking in and you can in some more specific input. Dixon is another town you might like it has grown a bit but, still has a small town feel and is affordable. It is about 20 minutes west of Sacramento.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Don't know if this will help any, but I was born in Sac. 1965 and grew up in the bedroom community of Loomis on a small ranch from 1969 on.
I have never been east of Wyoming, so I know nothing about where you're from other than what I read and some friend's accounts.
I can agree with what all the Nor-Cal. natives have said thus far. (o.k. I'm being lazy), but it really is true about the climate, diverse activities, proximity to the ocean (ya ever seen that)?, and mountains. We really are in the heart of it all.
At the risk of potentially offending someone here, you can PM me if you're interested in my biased opinion of some of the "less desirable" areas to live.
If you did your research you would know that the Cali. border is closed and there is no more room, until someone dies and wills access. ;) .

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Sacramento was a great place to live..lots of rivers, Sacramento river,American river..lots of good fishing spots, i only lived there for about 5 yrs..when i was in construction..every city has its bad area ..and i lived in south Sac. / on Stockton bulv. that would be the area i would for sure stay away from..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
camaroman7d and WillS -
My potential employer is Radiological Associates of Sacramento (RAS). Their locations relevant to me are as follows: Roseville, Carmichael, Auburn, Cameron Park, two in Sacramento and one in Vacaville.
I'd love to meet up with you and if possible other members of TC. I know Friday I'm busy with the interview. At some yet to be determined time Saturday or Sunday a realtor is going to take us around for several hours. Based on the feedback you guys have been giving me I'm leaning toward looking at the following areas to start with: Orangevale, Woodland, Rocklin, East Roseville and Dixon. Other than the time with the realtor we're going to be exploring and like I said It'd be great to meet you.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Chris for sure check out Rocklin, we build a lot of homes there..alot of areas are hard pan, but the natural rock lands are just breath taking..:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts