Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My mechanic recently reinstalled my newer style GM performance aluminum heads on my old 427 block. The block has a coolant hole that runs into the heads near the bottom of cylinders 5 & 7 and 4 & 2. We noticed that the FelPro gasket FPP-1027 has a hole to pass the coolant through however it is not a big enough opening for the hole in the block and restricts about half the size of the opening. I didn't look underneath at the head to see how large the opening was. I suggested that we trim the opening up to match the hole but my mechanic said to not worry about it and that the coolant pressure will open up the hole as needed. I'm slightly concerned that this will have a negative effect on the gasket. The previous head gasket, a cheaper Felpro version did not have any opening and was sealing the coolant port completely shut. Please let me know if there is any cause for concern and/or suggestions. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
The coolant will not open the hole in the gasket. I'd leave the holes as is and run it.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The holes in the gasket are sized the way they are to control the coolant flow, and they can be diffferent from one gasket to another depending on the original application of the gasket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts