Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is about the fender bolts, on top, near the hood hinges. There is one on each side on my 67 vert and they are starting to rust as they were painted the color of the car. The fender bolts up front, two each side, are flat black.

My question is: Is there a nut on the other end of the bolt or does the bolt thread into a clip or some other devise inside the body? I would like to take each bolt out, sand it and re-paint it with a flat black and re-install. The last ting I want to hear is a bolt falling off and rattleing around inside the fender and the inner wheel well metal when I remove the bolt.

As always, this forum is great, thanks in advance-:hurray:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
On each sie there is one fender mounting bolt going into the cowl/firewall area. There is a nut plate or otherwise welded threaded piece this bolt goes into.
FYI, These parts were MANGANESE Phosphate Plated (The Blackish color) and not painted originally..........Paint if you must, but this is not restoration........

·
Super Moderator
32,789 Posts
And when replacing the bolts, cover the threads with anti-seize compound. You'll appreciate doing this later in life.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'll just buy 2 new bolts from Rick's and replace them then. I'm a cheap bastard and had a spray-can of mat-black laying around and said "what the heck".

I just wanted to make sure that the bolt, clip, whatever the bolt was threaded into was secure and would not drop in "no mans land" and ruin my day.

Thanks-:yes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have to add to the original question regarding The Managanese Phosphate Black bolts. I sanded down, like a loony, and painted mine gloss black. If I were to go back original it would be the Phosphat Black mentioned. I have not been to a judged show yet with my car but how do they look at correct color but not original bolt. Is it six one half dozen the other?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
At your local shows, it probably doesn't matter. But if you get serious about judging, it will. I have a buddy who restored his numbers 69 Z and used a black grille because he liked it better. At his first judged show (maybe 200 cars/10 classes) he won Best of Show.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts