Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched around and heard that camaro/caprice accs brackets won't work without mods. How much do you have to notch the motor mount or crossmember? I plan on pushing the bracket out 16mm to accomodate tall aftermarket valvecovers, so will that be enough?

I also saw a '70 converted to T.P.I. that used to donor 3rd gen in-tank pump. Can I use a third or fourth gen pump for the LT1?

Does anyone have inst. on modifying the stock harness?

I'm on a real tight budget (can only spend and parts what I make selling/trading parts) so I need to do as much myself as possible.

Thanks

Note: The motor is actually a 96-97 f-body, but I'll be running an OBDI ECM. My daily is a '95 Caprice Wagon LT1 w/ H/B Delete,LS1 Intake, Airfoil, MSD 8.5's, MSD Coil, Gator Belt, Blue Hoses, AirLift Susp, P/M Upgrade, B43 Cargo Mat, Hotchkis LCA's & Rear Sway Bar, 16" ROH's, Cross Flags, Nordskog Tach, P/W Conv, SS Grill, Bonneville Front and Rear Seats and Riv Console w/floor shift. Blazer Overhead and Rear Disk's in the works.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You will have to notch the frame no matter what you do. some of the impala or camaro brackets hit the wheel wells to. With the vette bracket you wont need to do any extra work and it looks better. I used a 96 motor but used a 93-94 computer #16159270 and a painless harness for 92-93 LT1s. I would just go with the painless cause of ease. I was easyer to install than changing my oil. A good place to call for help is CCS motorspors(www.ccsmotorsports.com)They do alot of conversion like this.
Good Luck
Ethan LT1 AND CAR

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
if you don't need AC, i hear you could head to a Chev dealer and get a 93 Camaro 1LE idler pulley and eliminate the AC compressor totally. i am kind of starting to resaerch the same swap myself- but a 302 LT1 (94 Caprice 350 LT1 block with L99 crank and rods)- into my Nova. why a 302? why not- dare to be different...
after what i went thru this weekend with my beater 94 9C1 Caprice- i have to ask just WHY do you want discs in the rear of you wagon? if you do get discs, don't use the stock Caprice/Impala SS rear discs- they are JUNK unless you take the calipers off every once in a while to make sure the caliper mounting pins aren't frozen to the caliper brackets. i broke 2 of the 4 rear caliper guide pins off with minimal effort on saturday night, and spent sunday putting the drums from a 92 Caprice 9C1 on it. it actually has a better pedal feel now and stops better than it ever really has.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have most of the accs. from 94-95 Caprices Brackets, water pump, harness, etc.) and would like to use them to keep the cost down, so if I must notch, I must notch. I'll give CCS a call.

I would like to run A/C if I can, but we'll see.

302 LT1 in a Nova actually sounds pretty cool. Modern nostolgic thing and a one off.

Why add disks to my Wagon? Yes I have the stock '95 9C1 disk set-up waiting to go on and am aware of the pin situation. I mostly heard of it happening to higher milage cars. I don't go anywhere and only rack up maybe 8-10K a year. My Wagon needs all the stopping power it can get (hey, I'm a N.Y. driver!) and several Wagon owners highly recommend the swap even thought it's not a bolt on due to the larger axle tubes and wider diff on the Wagon. Plus like your 302, it's different... Who mods Wagons?

Thanks guys!

Anyone else have any input?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by novaderrik:
if you don't need AC, i hear you could head to a Chev dealer and get a 93 Camaro 1LE idler pulley and eliminate the AC compressor totally. i am kind of starting to resaerch the same swap myself- but a 302 LT1 (94 Caprice 350 LT1 block with L99 crank and rods)- into my Nova. why a 302? why not- dare to be different...
after what i went thru this weekend with my beater 94 9C1 Caprice- i have to ask just WHY do you want discs in the rear of you wagon? if you do get discs, don't use the stock Caprice/Impala SS rear discs- they are JUNK unless you take the calipers off every once in a while to make sure the caliper mounting pins aren't frozen to the caliper brackets. i broke 2 of the 4 rear caliper guide pins off with minimal effort on saturday night, and spent sunday putting the drums from a 92 Caprice 9C1 on it. it actually has a better pedal feel now and stops better than it ever really has.
Here is a detail pic of the AC delete pulley in my 94 LT1.

good luck with your project.

bob

·
Registered
107 Posts
i have helped my best friend install a painless harness on a 94 ss lt1 and it was ok, he had the computer reprogrammed by fast chip in tulsa, had nothing but problems, after the swap we met a guy that had a similar sap but out of a 94 z car
and he used a harness and computer work done by a company out of texas called fuel injection specialties { the have a web site} it worked out well for him. when it came time for me i went with the same set up the built me a harness to my specs and burnt the computer cant be happier,
if i remeber coreect the were the best priced as well, niether of us have had problems yet. to give you a little idea of the abuse the motors are getting my other addiction is offroad rock crawling these set ups get beat on.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
bspears-
what is the part number for that idler pulley? how much does it cost? the parts guys at the local dealer always have trouble finding parts like that...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts