Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it worth getting glass doors,front 1/4 panels? im definitely wouldnt think about messing w/ that back one....its huge! oh yeh and what about replacing my ttops, side, and rear glass w/ plexiglass? i guess it would be kinda flimsy, but it would save on weight wouldnt it?

------------------
Black 82 Z28 t-top, 350 w/ TH350

·
Registered
567 Posts
GM made the T-Tops easy. Some cars came with Plastic/Plexyglass tops. My 92' did. I have since bought glass ones, but both of the original tops still do not weight what one glass one goes.

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx mark, so what about the body panels? worth it? i mean i cant do nething w/ them now b/c im still working on the engine, so they would come after everything and just b4 the paint.

------------------

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have always been afraid of glass doors on the street, even with a cage. I would stay away from them. A fiberglass hood and front fenders would not be bad. Not sure who make fenders for a 3rd gen though?

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks man, i was just kicking the idea around. b/c those doors are HEAVY, yah know. just trying to find different ways to save weight or something.

------------------

·
Registered
460 Posts
I assume you want to save weight because less weight means faster car. Maybe the lighter t-tops would be a good idea but I think I would stop there, especially with a t-top car. They have no frames and like to twist. I don't know how much a fiberglass front fender would weigh but it can't be worth the expense. The fenders on those cars are pretty thin and weigh almost nothing to begin with. It can't be cost effective to make the swap. I have a couple steel ones off a parts car and I will wiegh them if you want but they don't weigh anything to begin with. You are right about those doors being heavy though. Very heavy. However they are heavy for a reason. They are strength to help keep the car from twisting. Putting fiberglass ones on will save weight but make the whole structure weaker. I think fenders would be a waste and if you do doors at least add subframe connectors. At least! Find other ways to save weight without sacraficing strength. Like get rid of the ten layers of insulation that is under the carpet and around the car. I stripped a mid eigthies WS6 and I couldn't believe all the weight that was insulation and such. I don't know but I would be weary of putting fiberglass doors on a t-top car that had any power at all, especially one without a full frame. Doors add more strength than people usually think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts