Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone out there using fibreglas leaf springs.
I have a set from Vette Brake dated from the 90's on my 68.
I must say I have put them to the test and they never failed me for almost 20 years.
But I also want to know why the use of fibreglas didn't catch on?

James

·
Registered
213 Posts
Is anyone out there using fibreglas leaf springs.
I have a set from Vette Brake dated from the 90's on my 68.
I must say I have put them to the test and they never failed me for almost 20 years.
But I also want to know why the use of fibreglas didn't catch on?

James
I have seen them rip right out of a car dumping the clutch of the starting line I COULD NOT BELIEVE The damage it Dunn!!! :eek:

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,382 Posts
I had them on my now-sold '68 and will be using the same set on my '67 project car. I like them a lot for street and non-drag race track use; I wouldn't use them in a car that was drag raced and had traction, for the reason mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Wow, you learn something everyday on this board. Fiberglass leaf springs. Never would have thought....:noway:

·
Registered
7,151 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Corvettes have come from the factory with transverse fiberglass leaf springs for many years... since I think 1984? and now they are made and used on older Corvettes as well at least as far back as 1963 models (but all these are transverse mounted leafs)..

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Yes And I must say that they are ultra smooth riding, super quiet and very light weight.

James
+1

I'm using them on my 67 and my 70.

On the 70, I'm using the transverse system with upper and lower control arms and sway bar.

Also using them on the rear with their sway bar.

On the 67, I'm just using them on the back.

I love them.

It's true they will break if you "shock" them with lots or torque, like a hole shot.

I don't do that.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Wow, you learn something everyday on this board. Fiberglass leaf springs. Never would have thought....:noway:
Corvettes have come from the factory with transverse fiberglass leaf springs for many years... since I think 1984? and now they are made and used on older Corvettes as well at least as far back as 1963 models (but all these are transverse mounted leafs)..
yup... every Corvette built since the 1984 model has had transverse fiberglass leaf springs at both ends of the car when they left the factory...

my 92 AWD Astro van had fiberglass leaves in it, too..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts