Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bodyman asked me if I wanted the seams filled in on my '68 vert, between the rear quarter panels and the panel from the rear window to the trunk. Most of the pictures I've seen have the seems filled in, but he says he has seen them both ways. Which is correct?

·
Registered
90 Posts
dont fill them anyway,or rust become faster as you believe
My bodyman asked me if I wanted the seams filled in on my '68 vert, between the rear quarter panels and the panel from the rear window to the trunk. Most of the pictures I've seen have the seems filled in, but he says he has seen them both ways. Which is correct?

·
Registered
90 Posts
sure,but this guy say your bodyman want to fill the seams.....

the lead is a old school thecnique to solve the problem on the lines,because on time begins to crack on paint on lines...today exist another ways to fill the lines without became a problem in a future

40 years ago,all the GM world make the best thing as possible......today is another story...regards.
sorry, wrong.

On coupes the seams were never filled.

On verts, those seams were ALWAYS filled, the factory used lead, and they didn't rust.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
sure,but this guy say your bodyman want to fill the seams.....

the lead is a old school thecnique to solve the problem on the lines,because on time begins to crack on paint on lines...today exist another ways to fill the lines without became a problem in a future

40 years ago,all the GM world make the best thing as possible......today is another story...regards.
I have no idea what you just said :confused:

·
Registered
426 Posts
They were filled on convertibles, Jim? I didnt realize that. I smoothed those seams on mine as well as the tail panel seams ;)

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
And if you properly clean the area and use Evercoat "Metal-2-Metal" they will not crack - go ahead ask me how I know this ;)

·
Retired
26,741 Posts
Mine are not filled on my ragtop and even thought my car is far from stock it's one of those things that bug me from time to time. No one has ever said a word about it at shows or cruises so most don't have any idea it is or isn't correct.

As others have said, they were filled from the factory Javiar I understand your warning about filling them but if done right it's not a problem...

·
Registered
90 Posts
my english is not so good,i try to be better !!!
my conclusion about fill the lines,was to try proof and error !!!
many body shops around the world fill the lines with body filler,lead,sealer and the results are very variables.
i hope dont offend anybody by my comments
Mine are not filled on my ragtop and even thought my car is far from stock it's one of those things that bug me from time to time. No one has ever said a word about it at shows or cruises so most don't have any idea it is or isn't correct.

As others have said, they were filled from the factory Javiar I understand your warning about filling them but if done right it's not a problem...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts