Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had the car for over 20 years and never paid much attention to detail of the 4 speed in it.

I am stripping it so I can send it to the shop for at least a re-seal. The car sat for about ten years and it has some leaking going on.

The thing seems to have three or four coats of paint on it. I mean beneath the layers of grease it has three or four coats of paint. :cautious:

Here is what I have on the case"
DSC_2840 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr
DSC_2841 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

Then this on the tail:
DSC_2843 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

Looks like a T10 based on the obvious. What can you tell me about this trans? Good, not so good? I'd really like to know more about what I have in the car.

I take any info you are willing to offer. :unsure:

A couple of new numbers I uncovered:
DSC_2845 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

These between the case and the tail:
DSC_2847 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

My trusty magnet has informed me that the main case and tail are aluminum.

I guess the benefit there is, no need to paint it again. (y)

·
Premium Member
6,738 Posts
Looks like a Borg Warner T-10 4 speed trans made in May 1962.

Thats a partial VIN F266011 so Im thinking its a 1962 Impala built at Flint, MI Plant

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From a little searching the inner-webs I'm learning these are not particularly desirable transmissions.

The aluminum case makes them a bit weaker in the view of many.

For my common street duty use, I suppose it will be fine.

I was reading though that the Corvette crowd can have an interest in these if the dates match their car closely enough.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
It's likely worth more to the Corvette crowd than it will ever be to you.

If you have a Camaro and want a 4 speed, get a Muncie.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's likely worth more to the Corvette crowd than it will ever be to you.

If you have a Camaro and want a 4 speed, get a Muncie.
Well, if I ever have the opportunity to let it go to a Corvette owner for the price of a good Muncie ... I'd seriously consider it.

For now I guess I'll clean it up and run it. :)

I did get all the paint off it today. (y)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the T10 into the transmission shop for ... at the very least a reseal.

I know it had been leaking from the nearly ten years of sitting idle. They have it apart and they found the seals were pretty bad.

As I thought possible with the leaking it had been doing, it needs new bearings as well.

I'll have them do whatever is necessary to get it back to its full potential.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The F266011 is the vin of the car it came in from the factory.
"F" is for Flint Mi. they assembled full sized Chevy's there.

Hope this helps... Crash

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Crash. It all helps me know what I have here.

At its core I know I have a T10 from 1962 a somewhat later version from the initial (1957) introduction of the T10. Somewhat better than the first introductory version, but not as durable as the Muncie transmissions which came along in the timeframe of my 67 Camaro. It's also an all-aluminum case, for better or worse.

I read some (almost) horror stories on the net about fitting one of these in a Camaro. At this point my car and this transmission are tailored perfectly for one another including a factory console ... so I have no problems or complaints on that front. With that in mind I'll keep things as they are on this match-up. I'd almost consider picking up a back-up (duplicate transmission) if I stumbled on to one, just to make any transmission failures a smoother fix.

I do notice one response says Freemont Plant and you say Flint Plant. That detail certainly makes no difference as both say the trans would have come in a full-size car from the factory.

The main thing is, I know is it serves me well in my Camaro and now I understand pretty clearly what I have here. ;)

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Transmission is all done. Since they had to replace the bearings, it received a full rebuild of all the soft parts, syncros and all.

I did not have a car today, so I'll pick it up on Mon/Tue ... my next days off. (y)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked it up this morning. Should be 100% ready for installation. Just add oil ;)

Complete "soft" rebuild. Syncros, bearings, seals etc.

IMG_2785[1] by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

Question regarding oil situation with this transmission.

Any recommendations?

I have usually just run traditional 90w gear oil. Is synthetic an option, or is it desirable?

Any and all thoughts are welcome. :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bump

Just hoping to get input on the question in previous post. ;)

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have never had good luck with synthetic and old style synchros. I would stick to conventional.

·
Registered
672 Posts
^X2^ Tolerances are much different these days.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Super! Thanks guys.
I’ll stick to what I have been doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts