Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

After much thought and looking at other 1969 camaros at shows this summer, I have decided to go with 17 inch wheels. The car currently has 14 inch wheels and B.F. Goodrich Radial TAs.

My 383 stroker was just installed and a built 2004R transmission will soon follow. The rear end is a 3.73 posi unit. So it looks like it is time to get the look that I want with new wheels and tires.

My question is, for a street only car that gets romped on every once in a while, what brand tire do you high performance drivers prefer? I am thinking that traction may be an issue with my new combination so the tire choice will probably need to have superior traction .

Thanks for your help.

John T.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I went with the bfgoodrich gforce comp 2 with much research. Good ballance of dry but also wet if needed. You don't need an all season as it won't see snow. and they look good.

The Nitto 550 is good too for dry but not if you occassionally hit a little rain shower.

And the bfgoodrich is not expensive so if you burn'm off a little, cheap to replace! :)

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
I have the Nitto 555's. They're great in the dry weather. I haven't been out in the rain, so I can't comment on that. Since I don't drive in bad weather, my next set may be something a little more sticky like the NT05's (if I stick with Nitto's).

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you have the $$$ I know the Goodyear Supercar and Michelin Pilot Cup have a LOT of good things said about them.

An inexpensive but step up would be something like Kumho Estca.

I have NT555 right now and they do pretty well

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello all,

Thank you for your replies.

Last Sunday I went over to the "Groundup" open house in Naugatuck, CT and saw a really nicely done 1969 Camaro with 225/55R /17s up front and 255/50/R/17s out back. I didn't catch the brand of tire on his car and he left before I could ask the owner.

I have searched the Internet and cannot find these two tire sizes in any perfromance tire brand, except for Kumho Ecsta Sports. Every other brand has one tire size, but not the other.

I am trying to get a little of the "big and little look" stance to my 1969 Camaro so I heave to have a slightly smaller tire up front than I do out back.

Does anyone know of another brand (s) of performance summer tires that come in the sizes that I am interested in?

Thanks.

John T.

·
Registered
594 Posts
John, go over to Tirerack.com, on their header click on products then scroll down to tires, then by size. Plug in the size your looking for. Once that info comes up click on the specs header of that specific tire and it'll give you all the sizes from that manufacturer. Hope it helps with the selection process. S

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
225/45-17 and 255/40-17 is almost exactly stock diameter. If you're lowered at all don't go too much higher in your sidewall or you might rub.

...and that seup, at least in mine, gives you very neutral handling. Extremely controllable and responsive. Surprisingly so for a 45 year old car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts