Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats. Beautiful RS-Z. I've had mine for 32+years, and now on the tail end (side glass and door panels). You beat me...ha!!!
Thanks. I have done two rebuilds of the car. First one when I bought it and then second time around to correct some of my teenager handiwork from round 1. It sat for quite a while in the middle of that time after I got married and had kids. I am pretty sure that this car started life as an LM1. It has 350/302 engine frame stands, had the vent return line (which I believe would confirm it had a 350), 3:31 posi with multi-leaf springs. Originally hugger orange. It came with deluxe interior and exterior trim package. Manual steering and manual drum brakes. My last rebuild included adding the RS equipment and changing the 350 for a 302--always wanted one. Currently have an M-21 and changed to 4:10 gears. Fun car to drive. I was fortunate when I started this car as I could go to the local chevy dealer and by all NOS parts. All of the sheet metal is original or NOS--except for the floors and wheel wells that I replaced in round 2. Good luck getting your ride on the road.

·
21,109 Posts
Nice looking ride.... and back in the 80's,these cars were cheap....lol....times have changed....lol

·
Registered
'68 396 SS/RS, '97 SS, '02 SS
42 Posts
That is an awesome car.

I bought a '68 396 SS/RS one owner when I was 26 in '86 and like an idiot sold it in '01 because I wanted a newer Camaro. Shortly afterwards I began to regret it. Last month I bought I repurchased it from the 3rd owner. I guess I can say I'm still the 2nd owner.lol

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
That is a beauty no doubt.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice looking ride.... and back in the 80's,these cars were cheap....lol....times have changed....lol
Yep.....talked the guy down from $600 to $550....It was a bit of a basket case. Here is something that you probably will not hear today....built the car with money I earned delivering newspapers....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is an awesome car.

I bought a '68 396 SS/RS one owner when I was 26 in '86 and like an idiot sold it in '01 because I wanted a newer Camaro. Shortly afterwards I began to regret it. Last month I bought I repurchased it from the 3rd owner. I guess I can say I'm still the 2nd owner.lol
Happy to hear that you got it back!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Beautiful car and it sure brings back memories. Back in the '70s when I was in High School a guy in my home town had a car almost like yours. It was also and Azure RS, Z-28, but his had a black vinyl top and cragers on it. I recently asked him what happened to the car and he said it got T boned.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beautiful car and it sure brings back memories. Back in the '70s when I was in High School a guy in my home town had a car almost like yours. It was also and Azure RS, Z-28, but his had a black vinyl top and cragers on it. I recently asked him what happened to the car and he said it got T boned.
I had a similar experience back then. My dad was buying a car at a local Chevy dealer and the salesman had pics of his 69 Z on his desk. It was azure turquoise with a black vinyl top. That is when I picked the color for mine. He told us the guy he bought it from also had a crossram that he would sell with it but he did not want to spend the extra $600..

·
Registered
1969 SS 396/375, 2017 COPO Camaro 427
17 Posts
Hello Rich, I saw your car at the "Mars Rumble" car show yesterday and I can say it is one beautiful restoration with great attention given to detail. I purchased a new 1969 Azure Turquoise SS 396/375 Camaro at Don Allen Chevrolet in Pittsburgh in February 1969. It was my favorite color that year, and your car brought back some fond memories. Take good care of that car, it certainly is a treasure.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Yep.....talked the guy down from $600 to $550....It was a bit of a basket case. Here is something that you probably will not hear today....built the car with money I earned delivering newspapers....
Those were the days huh? Great memories from newspaper routes!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello Rich, I saw your car at the "Mars Rumble" car show yesterday and I can say it is one beautiful restoration with great attention given to detail. I purchased a new 1969 Azure Turquoise SS 396/375 Camaro at Don Allen Chevrolet in Pittsburgh in February 1969. It was my favorite color that year, and your car brought back some fond memories. Take good care of that car, it certainly is a treasure.
Thanks. That was a fun event. Funny how azure turquoise was not all that popular in the 60's but seems to get a lot of attention now. From your signature, it looks like you still have your 69?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Beautiful car, Rich! I think Azure is probably my favorite color in '69. Then again, I'm a big fan of the less-than-popular colors. Dare to be different.

·
Registered
1969 SS 396/375, 2017 COPO Camaro 427
17 Posts
Hello Rich, I sold the Camaro in 1976 and purchased a more family friendly car, a 1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme. That was after the birth of my two children. To this day, I regret selling the car. The fellow that bought the car raced it for a couple years, then totaled it. In the early to mid 80's I built and raced a 1969 Camaro in NHRA Super Stock A Modified. I also owned a 1969 RS Z28, black, black interior, with white stripes, and a 1969 396/375 Pace Car. I sold all these cars as the years past and currently own a 1969 Garnet Red SS 396/375. Although I own several other classic cars, the 69 Camaro will always be my favorite. A friend of mine and I were at Purvis Oil Saturday to pick up VP racing fuel for our classics. The attendant informed us of the show, and we stopped by for a couple hours. Great show and cars, however your car was my favorite. Hope to see you at a future show.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi guys, I bought a new 69 Fathom green Z in I belive October of 1968. I still owed on it when I left for Vietnam in September 69, so my dad sold it. I never knew who or where it went. How do you guys find your old cars? I haven't a clue how to go about. I currently have a 69 clone same color, very nice car but just not the same. Where do I start to find out what happened to it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You might be able to do some sort of VIN search in the state where you know it last might have been titled--assuming that you have an old document somewhere with the VIN number on it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello Rich, I sold the Camaro in 1976 and purchased a more family friendly car, a 1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme. That was after the birth of my two children. To this day, I regret selling the car. The fellow that bought the car raced it for a couple years, then totaled it. In the early to mid 80's I built and raced a 1969 Camaro in NHRA Super Stock A Modified. I also owned a 1969 RS Z28, black, black interior, with white stripes, and a 1969 396/375 Pace Car. I sold all these cars as the years past and currently own a 1969 Garnet Red SS 396/375. Although I own several other classic cars, the 69 Camaro will always be my favorite. A friend of mine and I were at Purvis Oil Saturday to pick up VP racing fuel for our classics. The attendant informed us of the show, and we stopped by for a couple hours. Great show and cars, however your car was my favorite. Hope to see you at a future show.
There is a cars and coffee event at Classic Automotive on August 20th and September 17th. I can't make it to the August date but am going to shoot for the September one. If you are there, maybe we can chat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts