Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there is a way to find true TDC by making a reference point and marking the ballencer, rotating the crank forward and back but i forget the process. can some one describe it to me. any help is appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Are the heads on or off the eng? If heads are on you need to install a piston stop in the spark plug hole. Then turn the eng counter clockwise until the piston touches the stop, mark the dampner then turn it clockwise until it stops , mark the dampner. Split the difference and that is TDC. install apointer and your are ready to go. Ahh also gently come up on the piston you dont want to bash it and poke a hole in it or bash a ring land grove or any thing nasty like that. Also if the head is off the eng you install a piston stop across the deck. This could be made easily if you dont own one. Just get a peice of steel thick enough that it wont flex drill 3 holes, one in the center and one on each side that will line up with the head bolt holes. Then place a bolt with two nuts in the center hole so you can lock it up and adjust it for the piston stop. Bolt it to the deck of the block and you are in good shape. Have fun!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I used a poor man's piston stop which is nothing more than a piece of 1/4" soft copper tubing. First, pull all the plugs so the engine will turn over easier. Get it close to TDC by turning the motor over until it begins to blow air out of the #1 spark plug hole. Then stick the copper tubing in. As you turn the motor toward TDC, the copper will mash down and eventually stop the engine from turning. Put a mark on the damper (Jim's tape trick works nicely). Then turn the motor backward until the stop prevents it from turning further. Put another mark on the damper. 1/2 way between the two is TDC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts