Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is everyone finishing the inside of the trunk on protouring cars? I’m not sure if I should splatter paint it or try to finish it somehow.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Finish it how you want. You can slick it down, you can splatter paint it, you could do a truck bed liner spray, you could upholster it, or to it SO many other ways. Heck you could leave it alone and keep the trunk closed.

Jim

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Did mine with carpet and 2 2x4 panel boards. Cut the 4 sides and covered with 1/4" foam pad then covered with madrid vinyl to match the interior. Mounted the 2 10" subs and amp on the back side. Got everything from a upholstery shop for $50 and it took a day. Have done 2 more for clients.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Epoxy primer, UPOL GRAVITEX (same goop as their bedliner with less texture). Urethane dove gray paint with a little flattenning agent, no splatter.
Ill probably build a few close out panels and weld on tabs to use late model door panel clips.
I will definitely weld on some flip down cargo loops to strap down a tool box.

The car is in primer, needs finish bodywork and paint. I expect to reshoot at least some of the trunk after overspray etc.

·
14,309 Posts
if you're going custom, you might check out alien enclosures. Ive only seen the website pics, but look pretty nice.
x2 👽

Reactions: rs67

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
987 Posts
My trunk looked great freshly painted with the splatter paint, but transporting coolers, folding chairs and other odds and ends produced rattles and scrapes. I thought about the vinyl trunk liner, but several people cautioned that moisture could build up under the vinyl and eventually promote rust. So I went with a molded carpet, and I love it. When I get a chance, Im going to make a pattern out of cardboard to match the rear of the back seat inside the trunk, then cut a piece of 1/2" plywood, carpet it and screw it in there. The fancy panels are nice, but I'm not into amps and subwoofers, I'd rather have full access to the whole trunk.

Attachments

Reactions: Just 1 More

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,063 Posts
My trunk looked great freshly painted with the splatter paint, but transporting coolers, folding chairs and other odds and ends produced rattles and scrapes. I thought about the vinyl trunk liner, but several people cautioned that moisture could build up under the vinyl and eventually promote rust. So I went with a molded carpet, and I love it. When I get a chance, Im going to make a pattern out of cardboard to match the rear of the back seat inside the trunk, then cut a piece of 1/2" plywood, carpet it and screw it in there. The fancy panels are nice, but I'm not into amps and subwoofers, I'd rather have full access to the whole trunk.
Is the molded carpet from TMI or another supplier?

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,063 Posts
Tim, I used ACC trunk carpet from Rockauto. You can't go wrong with ACC.
Thanks Al. I ordered my ACC carpet set from Rock Auto and really like it. I took the time to shoot Zolotone spatter with a satin clear coat but I can see how it will get banged up putting anything in the trunk so will probably go with the molded insert. Does the carpet continue up onto the flat areas (I have my batter mounted there on the PS).

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,530 Posts
Thanks Al. I ordered my ACC carpet set from Rock Auto and really like it. I took the time to shoot Zolotone spatter with a satin clear coat but I can see how it will get banged up putting anything in the trunk so will probably go with the molded insert. Does the carpet continue up onto the flat areas (I have my batter mounted there on the PS).
Yes it covers the flat area (drop offs). I think the carpet gives the trunk a nice finished look.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
987 Posts
Is the molded carpet from TMI or another supplier?
Shannon... Mines ACC. I didn't get it from Rock Auto, found someone online that had a decent price. But it was over a year ago... I forget who it was. I love the carpet but it does have one design flaw. Note that in the picture below, there are bound cutouts for the two outer braces. They should've included a bound flap or cutout for the center brace as the "molding" does not exactly fit the counter there. But when I get a chance, I'll pull the carpet and see if I can get a local shop to cut/bind a slot.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I am sure you could cut it your self. . . . I re adjusted mine to fit nicely. In addition I got some panel board, 1/4" foam and 2 yards of madrid black and did the 4 sides in the trunk and it looks great for under $50 and a day. Made the templates out of cardboard and attached with Velcro. The rest of the car is finished, so the trunk had to match the finished look. The whole job was easy.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
987 Posts
I am sure you could cut it your self. . . . I re adjusted mine to fit nicely. In addition I got some panel board, 1/4" foam and 2 yards of madrid black and did the 4 sides in the trunk and it looks great for under $50 and a day. Made the templates out of cardboard and attached with Velcro. The rest of the car is finished, so the trunk had to match the finished look. The whole job was easy.
Oh, I can cut it, but I want it bound to match the rest of the carpet. Gonna do pretty much what you did.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,632 Posts
The earlier trunk carpet wasn't bound. It was all trim to fit. I used a soldering iron on all the edges. Looks perfect as far as I'm concerned.:nerd:

·
Registered
6 Posts
As stated above, do NOT use vinyl. I went cheap with vinyl and now have rust back in the trunk. I'm looking for carpet...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts